FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Coilover suspension options: QA1 -vs- KW

+1 for the QA1 transformed 20069 now drivable at speed.

My VIN:    2706

updated my results. see my build thread for my opinion when considering coilovers for the car.

My VIN:    6020

I have a KW from Wolfgang and I know several D owners in Germany that have KW suspension too. I recently drove a stock D and I felt like in stone age. You can adjust the KW how "hard" it is and I use the most "soft" option possible and it drives excellent even on not so good roads. I drove 125mph on german highways without issues or with 88mph in a curve you'd not do with stock suspension. Wolfgang has adjusted the "normal" KW to the needs of a D and he did a great job.

I have just bought a KW kit. I have seen spax avo and protech shocks before and all I can say is that these KW shocks are really well made.
    I thought that the purple cups were stoppers for the springs, but I discovered that the springs will seat on the shock tower as the factory setup. So to my best knowledge the only "true coilover" kit for the delorean car is the one sold by DPI..

Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    10353

Good thing those purple rings are removable, they would never fit in the front upper mounts. That kit looks nice though, great to see other options available for our cars.

I have DPI's setup with their LCAs, it's excellent.

My VIN:    5312

Bumping an old thread. I just installed dpi's front and rear kit with QA1's. I am used to coilovers in my miata. So i set up the rear with 15 of 18 and the front 12 of 18 for stiffness and its almost undriveable because its so stiff on these shit VA roads. Anyone with this kit live in an area with shit roads? What ya running your qa1's at?
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    Bumping an old thread. I just installed dpi's front and rear kit with QA1's. I am used to coilovers in my miata. So i set up the rear with 15 of 18 and the front 12 of 18 for stiffness and its almost undriveable because its so stiff on these shit VA roads. Anyone with this kit live in an area with shit roads? What ya running your qa1's at?
    Much lower than that, I'm at like 4 in the front and 6 in the rear. Also DPI full front and rear kit.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Much lower than that, I'm at like 4 in the front and 6 in the rear. Also DPI full front and rear kit.
    Looks like i need to adjust mine, thank you
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

The QA1s are used on other applications, most of them heavier than our cars. You have to have them at the bottom end of their adjustment to have a somewhat "comfortable" driving experience.
    The KW's are designed specifically for our cars so the entire range is usable.

I have run both of these setups and by far the KWs are the winner, however either coilover is much better than a shock/spring setup.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2