FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: High Beam not Working

My VIN:    16355

Thank you Rich. Yes this is a continuation of the same problem. I found this wire and had hoped it might have been the problem but I can see it is for the buzzer. Being hopeful of an easy fix... I will go through all the suggestions and see what I can find out. Electrics are not my thing but I enjoy a challenge.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This thread is a restart off of the OP's other thread about the problem here.

In that thread he reported that the high beams do not light regardless of stalk position including the pull-flash position. He also reported that swapping the high-low relays changes nothing.

There was a post (#14) in that original thread suggesting he check Fuse 15 [High ("Main") Beam] to see if it's OK, also to check for +12V on either of the Fuse 15 terminals - with fuse out - when high beams are supposed to be ON.

Did not yet see an answer about that.

Thank you Ron. I should have continued from the same thread.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

NP!

I think you would find your problem if you followed the steps in post #16.
    (PM me anytime if they are unclear or you have any questions....)

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    ....When I push the lever away from me all the front lights go out. If I push it forward the same happens. The warning lamp on the display does not illuminate either. Park and single beam work fine but go out when the stalk is used. I will take another look at all the suggestions and continue to work on it.
    The last component in the high beam circuit before the dash lamp and the 4 high beam filaments (all in parallel to each other) is Fuse 15.

Suggesting you check that fuse and voltage to fuse just to easily rule it out.

Ron's troubleshooting method and schematic is worthwhile for verifying stalk switch is doing its job additional to checking voltage at fuse.
    Last edited by Rich; 10-27-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I don't see it being Fuse 15 at this point -- It doesn't Flash either (Fuse 6)...Could have been both, but 15 has already been checked (post 1....and verified).
    It will fail step 3 if Fuse 15 is bad. And the Flash part of step 4 if fuse 6 is bad (test while in low beam mode).

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I don't see it being Fuse 15 at this point -- It doesn't Flash either (Fuse 6)...Could have been both, but 15 has already been checked (post 1....and verified).
    It will fail step 3 if Fuse 15 is bad. And the Flash part of step 4 if fuse 6 is bad (test while in low beam mode).
    Right, Ron. I did miss the 'checked fuse' report in this thread.

Finally Sorted

Thank you to all who posted suggestions on how to fix this problem. Not having much "smarts" for electrical work I got a highly recommended Auto Electrician to take a look. He said he had never worked on a D before and was really excited about seeing the car. The problem was below the relay, a connection which was hard to access but had worked it's way off. Really pleased to have made a new contact who also knows the K Jet system and is a Dodge Charger enthusiast.

Always appreciate hearing how a troubleshooting adventure eventually closes out. Thanks for sharing.

Good bit of sleuthing by your new best friend. Problem sorted and you have a new resource. A knowledgeable K-Jet pro is something to treasure.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4