FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: High Beam not Working

My VIN:    16355

Thank you Rich, I will do all of this too. It would be good if it is not the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Yes, it could be the stalk/dip switch. But first check Fuse 15, high beam (Main Beam) relay. Pull it, inspect it, clean the contacts. Replace or swap in a known good one if in doubt.

Short version: The high beam fuse and the high beam relay, driven by the stalk switch, run all 4 headlights.

Normally when the switch is moved to high beam position it turns OFF the low beam filament in the low beam lamps (turns off low beam relay) and it turns ON the high beam filament in the low beam lamps AND the high beams (only one filament in the high beams). Also turns on the blue HB indicator on the dash.

So if all 4 lamps (and the high beam indicator) are off when switch is in HI position then the high beam circuit (which drives all 4 headlamps) is off when it should be on.

That can happen if you have a bad dip switch, bad connector at dip switch, bad high beam fuse/socket or bad high beam relay, in order of circuit position. You know the relay is OK. Next easiest check is the High Beam fuse. It is between the switch and the HB relay. If the fuse checks out then you can probe for +12V at the fuse socket to see if the switch and i the switch connector are delivering voltage to it.

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    Definitely pushing the stalk forward and if I push towards me to "flash" the high beams I get nothing too. The regular beam goes out. I like your suggestion about LED's but they will not allow me to install them at present. They will only accept LEDs on cars originally fitted with them. Bureaucracy at its very best!

It's possible. Just to verify you are pushing the stalk forward towards the front of the car, correct. They don't click like a lot of cars.
    [/QUOTE]

He is suggesting to replace the bulbs in the switches with leds not the actual headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still no High Beam

20181026_131849.jpg

Hopefully this picture is clear. I wonder if this wire not being attached is the source of the problem of not having any High Beam?? Any thoughts.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

20181026_131849.jpg

Hopefully this picture is clear. I wonder if this wire not being attached is the source of the problem of not having any High Beam?? Any thoughts.
    Its possible? Do you have the wiring schematic?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Will try and figure out from the diagram, electrics are not my strong point. Thank you.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

The schematic that DMC sells is full poster size and in full color! It was very helpful when I redid 11035!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    Early

20181026_131849.jpg

That purple wire looks like a power wire going to the buzzer module. Don't let that ground out.

Do your high beams work if you pull the stalk towards you? In any case, check power to high beam relay, and swap low and high to test if it is a bad relay.

You can also find a PDF or jpg copy of the delorean wiring diagrams on DMCtalk. Just look it up on Google.

EDIT: Here's a copy of the schematic https://i.imgur.com/xlQjMoD.png
    Last edited by 81dmc; 10-26-2018 at 07:00 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post

Do your high beams work if you pull the stalk towards you? In any case, check power to high beam relay, and swap low and high to test if it is a bad relay.
    This thread is a restart off of the OP's other thread about the problem here.

In that thread he reported that the high beams do not light regardless of stalk position including the pull-flash position. He also reported that swapping the high-low relays changes nothing.

There was a post (#14) in that original thread suggesting he check Fuse 15 [High ("Main") Beam] to see if it's OK, also to check for +12V on either of the Fuse 15 terminals - with fuse out - when high beams are supposed to be ON.

Did not yet see an answer about that.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thank you. When I push the lever away from me all the front lights go out. If I push it forward the same happens. The warning lamp on the display does not illuminate either. Park and single beam work fine but go out when the stalk is used. I will take another look at all the suggestions and continue to work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    That purple wire looks like a power wire going to the buzzer module. Don't let that ground out.

You can also find a PDF or jpg copy of the delorean wiring diagrams on DMCtalk. Just look it up on Google.

EDIT: Here's a copy of the schematic https://i.imgur.com/xlQjMoD.png

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This thread is a restart off of the OP's other thread about the problem here.
    The two threads have been merged....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast