FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: High Beam not Working

My VIN:    16355

I think this will be my next thing to check. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    One last thought, Could the head lamps be blown? maybe try swapping a low beam into a high beam just to see if it works. I like to try the simple things first to eliminate possibilities.

Thank you Dave, I will check this too. The jumper wire suggestion is a bit beyond me but I will look into this. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Make sure the headlight relay sockets have all pins seated in the socket. Sometimes a pin gets pushed out of the socket when inserting the relay.

You can make up a jumper wire and test the circuit at the headlight relay socket. That would verify that the circuit after the relay is working.

It does seem odd that the normal beam functions until the stalk control is pushed forward and then I get no normal beam or high beam? It seems to me that it must be the switch on the stalk??

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    It does seem odd that the normal beam functions until the stalk control is pushed forward and then I get no normal beam or high beam? It seems to me that it must be the switch on the stalk??
    Yes, it could be the stalk/dip switch. But first check Fuse 15, high beam (Main Beam) relay. Pull it, inspect it, clean the contacts. Replace or swap in a known good one if in doubt.

Short version: The high beam fuse and the high beam relay, driven by the stalk switch, run all 4 headlights.

Normally when the switch is moved to high beam position it turns OFF the low beam filament in the low beam lamps (turns off low beam relay) and it turns ON the high beam filament in the low beam lamps AND the high beams (only one filament in the high beams). Also turns on the blue HB indicator on the dash.

So if all 4 lamps (and the high beam indicator) are off when switch is in HI position then the high beam circuit (which drives all 4 headlamps) is off when it should be on.

That can happen if you have a bad dip switch, bad connector at dip switch, bad high beam fuse/socket or bad high beam relay, in order of circuit position. You know the relay is OK. Next easiest check is the High Beam fuse. It is between the switch and the HB relay. If the fuse checks out then you can probe for +12V at the fuse socket to see if the switch and i the switch connector are delivering voltage to it.
    Last edited by Rich; 10-04-2018 at 09:23 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Pull one of the high beams and check the filament for continuity. You can also check for voltage. Very possible all of the high beam filaments are burnt out.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    Cheers in advance for your suggestions, if it gets to technical it will be a trip to the Auto Electrician with a wiring diagram.
    Let's not get hasty.

HighBeamRelaySocketTest.jpg

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Per the wiring diagram, I suspect that your issue is after the main beam relay. When the stalk switch is activated (by pushing the stalk forward) it cuts the power to the dip beams and energizes the main beam circuit. IIRC the dip beam relay is not cut out when the stalk is pulled back to flash the high beams.

With a multi-meter check to see if power is getting to the main beam relay when the stalk switch is engaged to the forward position. (with the headlight switch tuned on to the second detent) If you get 12 volts, then you know that the main beam relay is getting power from the switch.

Once you verify that the relay is getting power then, with the high beams engaged, check to see if fuse 15 is getting power. I've seen a number of melted fuse 14 and fuse 15 connections over the years. Thus, your problem may be with the fuse box connections as opposed to the actual fuse itself.

Best of luck!

Andrew
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Thank you Andrew, will check on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Per the wiring diagram, I suspect that your issue is after the main beam relay. When the stalk switch is activated (by pushing the stalk forward) it cuts the power to the dip beams and energizes the main beam circuit. IIRC the dip beam relay is not cut out when the stalk is pulled back to flash the high beams.

With a multi-meter check to see if power is getting to the main beam relay when the stalk switch is engaged to the forward position. (with the headlight switch tuned on to the second detent) If you get 12 volts, then you know that the main beam relay is getting power from the switch.

Once you verify that the relay is getting power then, with the high beams engaged, check to see if fuse 15 is getting power. I've seen a number of melted fuse 14 and fuse 15 connections over the years. Thus, your problem may be with the fuse box connections as opposed to the actual fuse itself.

Best of luck!

Andrew

Cheers Ron, will take a look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Let's not get hasty.

HighBeamRelaySocketTest.jpg

Thank you David, I will check these too.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Pull one of the high beams and check the filament for continuity. You can also check for voltage. Very possible all of the high beam filaments are burnt out.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast