FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: High Beam not Working

My VIN:    16355

High Beam not Working

VIN 4273 has arrived safely to Auckland, New Zealand. CFR Rinkens (Sharon) and Extreme Global were fantastic to work with, highly recommended.

Now that she is here I have begun going through everything and one issue has surfaced that I hope someone may have encountered before.

Any thoughts about the High Beam both sides not working?

When I push the headlight knob once, which I assume is to engage the park lights, both front indicator lights come on (not flashing which is good). Is this normal, usually here in New Zealand the park light is a separate bulb as part of the main headlights?

When I push the same knob again the regular headlight beam comes on, all good. However when I use the stalk to activate the high beam all lights go off at the front. The instrument light does not come on either when high beam is chosen although it does when regular beam is on. The rear lights work fine.

I have checked the fuse and relay all is good and I can hear a click when engaging the 3 stages of lights, park, normal and high beam. The bulbs look good so I wonder about the switch on the stalk?? Can this be fixed or is a replacement required?

Cheers in advance for your suggestions, if it gets to technical it will be a trip to the Auto Electrician with a wiring diagram.

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Quote Originally Posted by peternikkiskinner View Post
    VIN 4273 has arrived safely to Auckland, New Zealand. CFR Rinkens (Sharon) and Extreme Global were fantastic to work with, highly recommended.

Now that she is here I have begun going through everything and one issue has surfaced that I hope someone may have encountered before.

Any thoughts about the High Beam both sides not working?

When I push the headlight knob once, which I assume is to engage the park lights, both front indicator lights come on (not flashing which is good). Is this normal, usually here in New Zealand the park light is a separate bulb as part of the main headlights?

When I push the same knob again the regular headlight beam comes on, all good. However when I use the stalk to activate the high beam all lights go off at the front. The instrument light does not come on either when high beam is chosen although it does when regular beam is on. The rear lights work fine.

I have checked the fuse and relay all is good and I can hear a click when engaging the 3 stages of lights, park, normal and high beam. The bulbs look good so I wonder about the switch on the stalk?? Can this be fixed or is a replacement required?

Cheers in advance for your suggestions, if it gets to technical it will be a trip to the Auto Electrician with a wiring diagram.

if both High beams are not working and the High beam indicator is not working, I would suggest checking the High Beam relay. swap the Low and High relays and see if they come on. You already know that low beams work.
    Also yes you depress the Head light button once for the running/parking lights, and twice for headlights. That is correct operation. I Recommend Replacing the Light bulb in both the Headlamp and hazard switches with LEDs. will help keep the switch running cooler and last longer.

Thank you for you reply. I did switch the relays and the high beam does not function. Perhaps some problem with the stalk control?[

QUOTE=hippieman9;239417]if both High beams are not working and the High beam indicator is not working, I would suggest checking the High Beam relay. swap the Low and High relays and see if they come on. You already know that low beams work.
    Also yes you depress the Head light button once for the running/parking lights, and twice for headlights. That is correct operation. I Recommend Replacing the Light bulb in both the Headlamp and hazard switches with LEDs. will help keep the switch running cooler and last longer.[/QUOTE]

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Thank you for you reply. I did switch the relays and the high beam does not function. Perhaps some problem with the stalk control?[

QUOTE=hippieman9;239417]if both High beams are not working and the High beam indicator is not working, I would suggest checking the High Beam relay. swap the Low and High relays and see if they come on. You already know that low beams work.
    Also yes you depress the Head light button once for the running/parking lights, and twice for headlights. That is correct operation. I Recommend Replacing the Light bulb in both the Headlamp and hazard switches with LEDs. will help keep the switch running cooler and last longer.
    [/QUOTE]

It's possible. Just to verify you are pushing the stalk forward towards the front of the car, correct. They don't click like a lot of cars.

Definitely pushing the stalk forward and if I push towards me to "flash" the high beams I get nothing too. The regular beam goes out. I like your suggestion about LED's but they will not allow me to install them at present. They will only accept LEDs on cars originally fitted with them. Bureaucracy at its very best!

It's possible. Just to verify you are pushing the stalk forward towards the front of the car, correct. They don't click like a lot of cars.[/QUOTE]

Definitely pushing the stalk forward and if I push towards me to "flash" the high beams I get nothing too. The regular beam goes out. I like your suggestion about LED's but they will not allow me to install them at present. They will only accept LEDs on cars originally fitted with them. Bureaucracy at its very best!

It's possible. Just to verify you are pushing the stalk forward towards the front of the car, correct. They don't click like a lot of cars.
    [/QUOTE]

If the fuse is good and you've switched relays with no change, then you may have a bad ground. Check this thread and look at the headlamp wiring diagram. should help. "All Wiring Schematics "

Thank you, will do.

QUOTE=hippieman9;239423][/QUOTE]

If the fuse is good and you've switched relays with no change, then you may have a bad ground. Check this thread and look at the headlamp wiring diagram. should help. "All Wiring Schematics "[/QUOTE]

One last thought, Could the head lamps be blown? maybe try swapping a low beam into a high beam just to see if it works. I like to try the simple things first to eliminate possibilities.

My VIN:    03572

Make sure the headlight relay sockets have all pins seated in the socket. Sometimes a pin gets pushed out of the socket when inserting the relay.

You can make up a jumper wire and test the circuit at the headlight relay socket. That would verify that the circuit after the relay is working.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast