FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: VIN 16821 for sale.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

By that criteria, my car is maybe $5k.
    Sticker shades mismatched? Really?

Assuming there are no mechanical/electrical defects or grenlins, I agree that its prob in the $50k range.
    How many (if any) Deloreans do you suppose exist that check off every block you list as perfect?
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I have seen worse examples bring 50k at Barret Jackson.
    Everyone is going ape$#it over the asking price. Just keep in mind the asking price is not the selling price. Nobody bats an eye when some poor schmuck pays 10k or even 15k for a parts car to spend the next 5 years and 30k to restore, but let someone pay market for a turn key example and everyone blows a gasket. Maybe this isn't the car for people like us. Maybe this is the car for a hedge fund manager who can't be bothered with restoring a car because he is so busy counting his money.
    One thing is for sure:
    Those that don't have a DeLorean get mad when values rise. Those that do own DeLoreans get mad when values rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    As for $50K, no. ...$65K, [censored]! Not with the defects listed above and:
    Coil cover broke/loose, sticker color mismatch, like some others
    I should up the insurance on mine based on my coil compartment

FB_IMG_1538821390666.jpgFB_IMG_1538821378845.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 10-06-2018 at 06:27 AM.

My VIN:    4519

50K all day.....

There are several cars on this forum with 50K invested (purchase price + restoration)....ask what theirs should sell for.

We're going to have to keep an eye on this one, then we'll know!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Sticker shades mismatched? Really?
    It's stuck on just one of over a dozen other items people have notice only looking at photos a seller wants buyers to see on a "fully restored" vehicle?? Well yeah...just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I should up the insurance on mine based on my coil compartment
    lol
    If I was selling a D that nice, I'd spend the $152 to replace the cover and sticker (including all of the other ones), before calling it "fully restored" at any price. I wouldn't put that POS on your car even if it was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    50K all day.....

There are several cars on this forum with 50K invested (purchase price + restoration)....ask what theirs should sell for.

We're going to have to keep an eye on this one, then we'll know!
    I'd consider $50K, if it was really restored....more if fully.
    Like I said, just my personal opinion...

It would be nice if we could know the bids in an auction...

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    ~snip~

It would be nice if we could know the bids in an auction...
    +1

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

Personally, if this isn't considered a fully restored car, I don't know what is. Surely it doesn't need to look like Tony's car down in Florida. Dana's car, yes, probably Michael's too. Those are a couple beautiful looking cars. This car advertised for sale ain't no project, that much is for sure.
    Thanks Jonathan.
    ------------------

I agree with the minor things pointed out. The surface rust on the stainless exhaust, etc. On the other hand, the features that are rare/unique are relatively low miles and a brand new original frame (which I see are now out of stock).

On the $35k, $50K, $60k valuations, I think it's way above $35K. In my experience, to do a complete restoration where everything works, and everything is show quality, definitely takes a total spend between $40K and $60K, depending on the quality of the car that you start with, how much it needs, and how much you can do yourself.

I have seen nice cars sell for north of $50K recently. Like Michael said, not everyone wants a dead barn find or a running restoration project. It may come as a surprise to some, but there are definitely people willing to spend at the higher end of the range for a restored car. Sometimes they buy the car AND get a few things done, from little odds and ends to a Stage 2.

At shows, when I'm asked what one would have to spend to get a car in a similar condition, I quote $50-60K. The most common response is "Wow, that's (relatively) cheap!" I was once parked next to a beautiful (900hp) 1987 Grand National restomod at a show, and the owner spent $40K to tub, rollcage, and paint it. So yeah, it's all relative.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

DMCH was getting $60K for their rebuilts. That kind of sets the upper limit market price for a "perfect" car. Not sure what they are getting now or if they are even doing them anymore. They may be doing them to orders. To get more than what DMCH offers the car would have to have something unusual about it like a famous previous owner, being in a movie, that kind of thing, besides being perfect. To ask that kind of a price the car should have been a in a concours and placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Then you know it has been objectively judged to be perfect and correct. DMCH can offer some kind of warranty, anyone else can't and that is worth something too.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    DMCH was getting $60K for their rebuilts. That kind of sets the upper limit market price for a "perfect" car. Not sure what they are getting now or if they are even doing them anymore. They may be doing them to orders. To get more than what DMCH offers the car would have to have something unusual about it like a famous previous owner, being in a movie, that kind of thing, besides being perfect. To ask that kind of a price the car should have been a in a concours and placed 1st, 2nd or 3rd. Then you know it has been objectively judged to be perfect and correct. DMCH can offer some kind of warranty, anyone else can't and that is worth something too.
    I am going to have a local trophy shop make me a "DCS Concours Certified Stainless" or maybe a "Permanant Best of DCS Forever and ever" 3' trophy. That and my "original" window sticker should add about 10k to the value.

windoweditfairmarketvalue.jpg

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I am going to have a local trophy shop make me a "DCS Concours Certified Stainless" or maybe a "Permanant Best of DCS Forever and ever" 3' trophy. That and my "original" window sticker should add about 10k to the value.

windoweditfairmarketvalue.jpg
    Will you send me an autographed picture, please?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    1710

When it comes to values with these cars over the past several years, I fully believe in Dave Swingle's mantra: they're worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them. For example, Mark C's beautiful Stage II car struggled to bring $27,500 after being on the market for months:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...-950-miles-33K

Meanwhile, cars that are arguably in far worse mechanical and sometimes worse cosmetic condition will fetch nearly twice that amount at auction.

So do I think the car in this thread is worth $63,000? No, for a number of reasons. But is it possible someone will shell out that amount for it? Maybe...
    Louie Golden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2