FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Dave McKeens Indicator Board for the Side Markers.

Dave McKeens Indicator Board for the Side Markers.

I installed the back board into the car yesterday and the procedure was pretty simple.

I haven't done the front yet and am wondering if anyone here has done an installation video?

I think I have to get at the harness on the drivers side behind the headlight but I also what to know do I have to run a new ground wire from the passenger side front marker?

Access will be quite difficult so just want to ensure i'm not taking apart anything I don't have to.

Thanks for any help.

My VIN:    03572

When you pull the front "grill" you have easy access to all the harness.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    +1. Also, when you pull the grill, be prepared for several of the Spring Latches ( SP10333) to not be reusable due to rust, breakage, or distorting. They are easy to replace however, ( just 2 aluminum rivets), and you may decide to get up to 8 new ones. You don't want to lose your nearly $500 grill while driving after all.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

INdicator board

Dave,

Are you saying the headlight buckets do not have to come out and are both side marker grounds and 12v+ available behind the grill?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Dave,

Are you saying the headlight buckets do not have to come out and are both side marker grounds and 12v+ available behind the grill?

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure all you need to do is cut into the harness and splice there. Now if you want to make connections by crimping two wires into connector pins then you would need access to the headlight connectors. I think the grounds are spliced already in the harness. I did mine many years ago so can't remember exactly. I think I had my headlights out but I was adding a frame ground and wiring +12 volts to my harness. My board gets it's 12 volts from the lights and does not need a separate 12 volt power. My prototype unit did require 12 volts but I eliminated that need when I designed the circuit board.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 10-08-2018 at 06:01 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572

I'm pretty sure all you need to do is cut into the harness and splice there. Now if you want to make connections by crimping two wires into connector pins then you would need access to the headlight connectors. I think the grounds are spliced already in the harness. I did mine many years ago so can't remember exactly. I think I had my headlights out but I was adding a frame ground and wiring +12 volts to my harness. My board gets it's 12 volts from the lights and does not need a separate 12 volt power. My prototype unit did require 12 volts but I eliminated that need when I designed the circuit board.
    Thanks Dave

Looking at the loom it looks as it is running to the passenger side for headlights, indicator and side marker so I can’t see how the drivers side indicator and side marker are accessed from there. Also if the grounds are already spliced in how do the side markers work as I though your board switches the grounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Thanks Dave

Looking at the loom it looks as it is running to the passenger side for headlights, indicator and side marker so I can’t see how the drivers side indicator and side marker are accessed from there. Also if the grounds are already spliced in how do the side markers work as I though your board switches the grounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes you would need to cut the ground wires on the side lights and attach those side light wires to my board. The neatest way to make the connections is to unwrap the OEM harness and make the ground cuts where they spiced them. The 12 volt side of the side lights also connect to my board.
    Dave M vin 03572

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

This is very easy to do. I installed 2 of his kits on my DeLorean and my best friends car. The ground bundle is more closer to the left head lights. (Close to the high beam) The 2 front side marker wires are cut completely out of the factory harness and rewired in the module.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!