FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help with source of major oil leak

Need help with source of major oil leak

My Delorean developed a sudden, major oil leak. A quart leaks out in about 30-60 seconds when the engine is running. It seams to be coming behind the timing gear cover and gasket, behind the water pump, directly below the intake manifold. It looks to be slightly to the left of dead center of the engine when facing the rear of the car. When the oil is leaking it is making a gurgling sound. I removed the two pulleys to see better. I have attached a picture. Any ideas of what could be wrong or how to troubleshoot this problem would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images

Naturally my photo somehow rotated itself, it's should be reversed-can't figure out to fix the uploaded picture

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Wow, that is a major leak. My suggestion is to clean the area well, and then have someone start the engine while you look at the area with a good flashlight. This helps pinpoint the exact area, as oil can travel from the source and fool you. From the description of the volume of oil, it seems that something near an oil gallery is leaking (leading from the oil pump, either at a gasket, or through a compromise in the metal.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by baseball_fan View Post
    Naturally my photo somehow rotated itself, it's should be reversed-can't figure out to fix the uploaded picture
    Check out this thread...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...oaded-pictures

Have a pic from further back?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Sounds like a bad case of "Block Rot". Pull the intake manifold and examine the top of the block. No easy fix.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

My car had block rot. I never had the car running with the stock engine, but just turning it over by hand made oil "waterfall" over the timing cover like you see.
    The oil comes from one or more of the 4 deep pockets in the valley. Coolant sitting in these pockets for years wears away at the already sub-grade aluminum usee to make these engine blocks and wears a hole through right to the main oil galley.

Some owners have had the block patched with success by TIG welding plates over the problem areas. It is a big project to fix it though. Assuming this is the problem.
    Attached Images

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Difficult to tell from the picture but as others have suggested it could be a case of block rot. I recently did an article in the club magazine about this having had an engine 'chopped' in half to see the main failure location. If nothing else this picture gives an idea of where to look.
    chop1.jpg
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Difficult to tell from the picture but as others have suggested it could be a case of block rot. I recently did an article in the club magazine about this having had an engine 'chopped' in half to see the main failure location. If nothing else this picture gives an idea of where to look.
    chop1.jpg
    THANK YOU for doing that.
    Makes it very clear to see where the rot occurs. Also, just need to see the cross section of a PRV.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    chop1.jpg
    Would it be possible to add this cross section part to my current PRV so that I can have a V8? Asking for a friend....

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Would it be possible to add this cross section part to my current PRV so that I can have a V8? Asking for a friend....
    Very good but the V8 PRV already exists.
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast