FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth speaker

Bluetooth speaker

My car still has the original Craig radio. I’d rather not modify it by adding Bluetooth or a hidden Aux Jack but at the same time I’d like to be able to listen to music from my iPhone. The cassette deck does not work so using one of those cassette adapters is out of the question. I’m leaning towards just placing a decent Bluetooth speaker on the rear shelf. Maybe something like this: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_714ONE...Black-Ash.html

Thoughts? Is anyone else using a portable speaker as a quick, non permanent fix?

My VIN:    10644

My solution is similar. I added this amp between the ASI radio and the speakers:
    http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/marine/kac-m1824bt/

The amp has bluetooth, so my phone automatically connects to it and plays music through the speakers. I _could_ toggle the input to the ASI radio to listen to AM/FM/Cassette, but I never do.
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

My VIN:    05457

If you still would like to use your Craig, you could add an FM modulator like this one that plugs directly into the Craig's antenna input, and then attach a Bluetooth car adapter to it that you can mount under the steering column shroud, completely invisible. Run the power for both to a dummy switch to turn on and off, and you are all set! That is what I did, along with replacing the original speakers and adding a sub. Now I have working Bluetooth on the Craig with great sound, all without modifying existing hardware or wiring (used a harness extension so I didn't have to tap into original wires).
    David Proehl

My VIN:    6472

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    My solution is similar. I added this amp between the ASI radio and the speakers:

The amp has bluetooth, so my phone automatically connects to it and plays music through the speakers. I _could_ toggle the input to the ASI radio to listen to AM/FM/Cassette, but I never do.
    With this setup, can you still control speaker volume using the knob on the original head unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    With this setup, can you still control speaker volume using the knob on the original head unit?
    Unfortunately, no. The amp either uses the head unit (and its volume knob) as the audio source, or my phone (and its volume buttons). Because I never switch over to use the head unit as input, it just sits there doing nothing (not even powered on) in the center console. I love the stock look though and it's not too annoying to adjust the volume by clicking my phone's buttons through my jeans.
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post

How's the install? Does it fit in the small space behind the driver's seat? I want to keep my original ASI as well but would like to have a bit better bluetooth rather than my tapedeck version I'm using now.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

If you are looking for a stock look, you can perhaps check out this Bluetooth cassette adapter, which wirelessly streams music from your device through your stock speakers :
    https://www.ionaudio.com/cassette-ad...-cassettebtxca

It is inexpensive but needs your cassette player and speakers to be in good working condition.

Last edited by DMC-81; 10-15-2018 at 05:44 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    How's the install? Does it fit in the small space behind the driver's seat? I want to keep my original ASI as well but would like to have a bit better bluetooth rather than my tapedeck version I'm using now.
    The amp is small and the install was pretty easy. I used the same location as shown in this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km3986nsCds

All the speaker wires are right there in the same area, so it was pretty convenient. I ran a fused power line from the battery beneath the passenger side carpet.
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

My VIN:    10353

Sweet, I was just in that area changing out my evaporator so know that area well lol. Will have to look into picking one of these up soon.

I have that ION bluetooth cassette tape now. It's great but I don't like having to remember to charge it up before driving the car even though the battery lasts a pretty decent amount of time.

Edit: Did you have to splice the speaker wires coming from the factory radio into RCA inputs for the AMP?

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    Did you have to splice the speaker wires coming from the factory radio into RCA inputs for the AMP?
    I can't remember exactly how hacky my speaker wiring is. The PO had added a lot of aftermarket audio accessories that I removed. Whether my wires are spliced or if the PO used a harness plug, the signal chain is definitely head unit -> amp -> speakers... if that's what you're asking.
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast