FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Delorean That Got Away

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

This is just the kind of car BHCC will buy cheap, wash and resell with at least another zero on the price. Someone thinking they are buying a runner will gladly pay the price and get their surprise when it gets delivered. Only a Delorean owner with deep mechanical experience or dealer should buy this kind of a car because it will need EVERYTHING and will take a long time to do it. To pay someone to bring this car back from the dead is going to cost WAY too much. if you really want a Delorean you should look for the best one you can afford, not the nearest POS you can find.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    This is just the kind of car BHCC will buy cheap, wash and resell with at least another zero on the price. Someone thinking they are buying a runner will gladly pay the price and get their surprise when it gets delivered. Only a Delorean owner with deep mechanical experience or dealer should buy this kind of a car because it will need EVERYTHING and will take a long time to do it. To pay someone to bring this car back from the dead is going to cost WAY too much. if you really want a Delorean you should look for the best one you can afford, not the nearest POS you can find.
    Nailed it

You dodged a bullet, OP. Don’t beat yourself up; give thanks.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    16985

Thanks for the encouragement, it sounds like the frame could have been a major problem on this car considering the appearance of the neglected exterior, the fact it sat in grass, and just the climate of Pennsylvania. I am mechanically inclined and have restored several cars, so a non-running DMC would not scare me too badly, but I now know how fragile the steel frame can be. I have a Delorean buyers guide on the way as well to further the learning process. Honestly though in the months since this happened I have seen very few cars available under $20,000. I did however get to look at a $30,000 DMC only 5 miles from my house which I was thinking about showing in another post since it is now sold and long gone.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Did you get it's VIN so we recognize it when it reappears?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Did you get it's VIN so we recognize it when it reappears?
    No I didn't and I wish I knew what it was. The dealer who bought it will not give me the time of day.

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralLee01 View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement, it sounds like the frame could have been a major problem on this car considering the appearance of the neglected exterior, the fact it sat in grass, and just the climate of Pennsylvania. I am mechanically inclined and have restored several cars, so a non-running DMC would not scare me too badly, but I now know how fragile the steel frame can be. I have a Delorean buyers guide on the way as well to further the learning process. Honestly though in the months since this happened I have seen very few cars available under $20,000. I did however get to look at a $30,000 DMC only 5 miles from my house which I was thinking about showing in another post since it is now sold and long gone.
    Don't give up my friend.....everyone in the forum is correct, these cars can be a real money pit. Especially if they have sat outside for long periods of time. I originally bought my Delorean, 14 years ago, from a guy that literally could not afford to keep it. When I bought 3349 I didn't really know what I was looking at or getting into (no buyers guide at the time) and although it was running there were some serious problems the previous owner had jerry rigged back together. Considering the state of the car I probably overpaid(but, I did not know any better) I had no idea of the problems until I started to drive it with one problem after another jumping out and surprising me. I fixed what I could but the mounting costs were incredible. At one point, I placed the car in storage for 5 years, until I had the money to pull it out and start investing into it the way it needed to be done. Even though 3349 was stored properly, in climate control, the initial "Make Run" after storage was 2500. Then came all the other stuff which was needed and neglected from the previous owner and me. I had the car moved to three different shops, including two of the Delorean suppliers/vendors eventually finishing some of the non specialty work at myself and at my local mechanics. It took me a year and a half after taking her back out of storage. My point is, they are wonderful cars if maintained properly and invested in correctly. But do not rush to inherit someone else's problem, if the previous owner could not repair the problems correctly or did not know how or just plain neglected them. you will pay for it in the long run.

Good Luck in your Search.

Just a little update on this DeLorean: A friend of mine was at the dealership where the car now resides last week, and said the mechanics there are very frustrated with being unable to get it running. Apparently they attempted to start the car without doing any maintenance or repairs to the Bosch fuel system and have caused some damage. He tried to purchase the DeLorean from them for me, but was not successful.

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralLee01 View Post
    Just a little update on this DeLorean: A friend of mine was at the dealership where the car now resides last week, and said the mechanics there are very frustrated with being unable to get it running. Apparently they attempted to start the car without doing any maintenance or repairs to the Bosch fuel system and have caused some damage. He tried to purchase the DeLorean from them for me, but was not successful.
    They weren't sending their best. I have read about this sooooo many times and its quite common. The k jet system is not a system you just add fuel and go with if its been sitting for years. My car is stored 30 mins from me at a buddy sgarage and i drive over every 4 days to let her run for 30 minutes because i know if you let the fuel system rest for too long, bad things can happen. Pat yourself on the back for dodging the bullet, and that dealership should of done research before touching the car let alone any other non familiar car before even trying a single thing tbh.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

And those same "mechanics" will not miss one chance to badmouth the car and blame it for their inept skill.

"Yeah I had one of those in the shop once. Biggest piece of shit on the planet".
    Last edited by Michael; 01-07-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    And those same "mechanics" will not miss one chance to badmouth the car and blame it for their inept skill.

"Yeah I had one of those in the shop once. Biggest piece of shit on the planet".
    Well, they are pieces of shit, but slightly below average in size. Certainly not biggest.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast