FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Preparing to sell my Delorean, but had questions on the Title (or lack there of)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Some States are very picky when it comes to Titles. I know here in New Jersey they can give you a really hard time if you don't have just exactly what they want. I had one car that took me 6 separate trips and a LOT of legwork to get a Title on an old car. They seem especially suspicious of bringing in an out-of-State car with no Title and now you want one and in New Jersey you MUST have one even if the car is old and didn't need one in another State. I had to establish it's "Chain of Ownership" all the way back so they knew there was no "skip Title", no liens, the car was never reported stolen, and all of the Bills of Sale were legit. They do not want you to "wash" the ownership by having the State issue you a Title on a car that may have questionable ownership. Some States didn't have Titles till the middle 60's so they are a lot more lenient. New Jersey always had Titles so when you bought a used car you knew it was free of any liens.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Titles

In Rhode Island if a car is older than a certain amount you just need a registration and a Bill of Sale. I think it sounds like more of problem than it actually is. Pretty sure that all States have provisions to accept vehicles from non-title required states so long as you have the additional documents they require (i.e. In RI BOS and old registration) if they didn't it would be a burden on interstate commerce.

Also send me a PM about your car as I have a friend looking and he lives in RI.
    ---------------------------------
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664
    ---------------------------------

My VIN:    16985

In this situation I would think that whatever state the vehicle is transferring to would be well aware of Maine's procedures and able to handle it appropriately. Even in situations of a missing title, there are sometimes ways to obtain one. I was able to title an ex-IMSA Firestone Firehawk Series racecar in 2015 which took a lot of work and a hearing before a judge but was well worth it.

My VIN:    Between VINs

Bought my car earlier this year in Georgia off a guy that bought it from New York a few years ago. It had a Georgia title. Now it has a PA title. Not really helpful to the OP but it's an observation about the GA discussion.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

All I know is that when I registered my 71 Triumph in 2006 I was unable to a title and I had an AL title in my name already. There was no "option" from the DMV clerk
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2