FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on potential purchase

Advice needed on potential purchase

I found an 81 for sale in my area. Here's what I know: Car runs, drives, panels are perfect, frame is solid. Needs mostly cosmetic work. The only thing that concerns me is that it doesn't have the original motor and instead has a chevy v6 which runs great. Seller wants $20,000. My question is, would having a different engine devalue the car than one with the original PRV? Is the seller asking too much? Trying to get a ballpark on what it could be worth. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures at the moment but I am going to look at it next week. I should mention that I am a former owner so I already know what to look out for.

Thanks

Forgot to mention- Car is a 5 speed nov 81 build and mileage on engine is unknown

My VIN:    2706

To me having a chevy v6 devalues the car but for example I would be all over the delorean at dcs 18 that's the supra swap car. It's all a matter of opinion. I think generally in the classic car Industry right now origional cars or restored cars that are done with a stock type or origional mindset are bringing top dollar. In my opinion this car would be cheaper then the equivalent prv car. I would be all over a running driving prv delorean for 20 grand depending on condition . This car I would be Leary on and would have to get cheap. I would probably then junk the Chevy and put an ls in it.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

My short and sweet opinion. In most cases an engine swap hurts the value to most people. To a further degree however, it is the execution of the modification that matters more. If your prospect is a clean well maintained car that has v-6 Chev swap with a degree of professionalism, then 20k seems very reasonable albeit it may take a little longer to sale in the future.

I'll take a clean well executed engine swap car that is in good working order any day over some left to be forgotton relic in someone's basement that will be a PITA for the next year....and that's about what 20k gets you these days.

Take the LT-1 V-8 swap here. I think his nake is Nick? That is one damn nice engine swap car and would most likely command more than many well respected stock cars.

Thanks for the response. If I got the car I would definitely consider finding a PRV. Do they pop up on eBay or on here regularly and if so, how much do they typically go for? I know I could get a crate motor for around 8000 or so from one of the vendors but that’s more than I’m willing to spend.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

As a general rule, the more a classic car departs from stock the less it is worth against a car in similar condition but original. If the motor was "swapped out" to a different kind of motor, not only the motor was modified but all of the auxiliary systems had to be modified to make it fit. Workmanship also affects value. If it looks like it was done by an amateur, the swap is worth less than if it looks professional. If you have documentation as to exactly what was done it can help. For instance, what kind of oil filter does it need, air filter, etc. A Delorean vendor will be of no help so you have to be able to obtain the parts and service the motor yourself. IMHO I would price the car based on it's condition and deduct what I thought it would take to return it to stock. It will take more than just a motor. For instance the frame may have been modified to attach motor mounts. The wiring harness was probably hacked up. The fuel system had to be changed, etc. Some of the small bits can be very hard to find. In such a case it is more efficient to get a "donor car" to get all of the parts and a motor.
    Last edited by David T; 10-18-2018 at 09:15 PM.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMC Fanatic View Post
    Thanks for the response. If I got the car I would definitely consider finding a PRV. Do they pop up on eBay or on here regularly and if so, how much do they typically go for? I know I could get a crate motor for around 8000 or so from one of the vendors but that’s more than I’m willing to spend.
    If you want a stock D, then reverting a previously swapped car is definately not the way to go...especially if 8k is too much to spend.

My VIN:    2706

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    If you want a stock D, then reverting a previously swapped car is definately not the way to go...especially if 8k is too much to spend.
    What he said.

My VIN:    Early

After my headache with the stock POS KJet PRV, I'd rather buy a car with a swap already done. However, the swap would have to be very professional and up to my very own standards. So honestly, if that car looks professional enough, jump at it, but then again, that's just my $.02...

Now if you want the PRV, just buy a car with the stock engine. Engine swaps sometimes involve major wiring mods. As a result, it would be a nightmare to convert back to stock without sometimes buying whole new harnesses.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    3937

I think the answer to your question is right there in your description:

Nov 81 5-speed with perfect panels, a solid frame and runs well. Some cosmetic issues to be addressed.

How much would a car that like sell for right now if it had a stock engine in it? My guess would be under $40,000, but no less than $30,000. Call it $35,000 + or -.

Your car with that same description, but with a non-stock engine is for sale right now for $20,000. So, that engine swap has devalued the car by $15,000. Plain and simple.

Your future value might be less than the equivalent car with a stock engine, but your initial investment isn't as high either. As was pointed out, it may take you longer to sell someday too. But you're driving a car that runs well and needs little. You absolutely won't be doing that if you buy a mess that sat for a while just to get the PRV.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast