FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on potential purchase

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    My short and sweet opinion. In most cases an engine swap hurts the value to most people. To a further degree however, it is the execution of the modification that matters more. If your prospect is a clean well maintained car that has v-6 Chev swap with a degree of professionalism, then 20k seems very reasonable albeit it may take a little longer to sale in the future.

I'll take a clean well executed engine swap car that is in good working order any day over some left to be forgotton relic in someone's basement that will be a PITA for the next year....and that's about what 20k gets you these days.

Take the LT-1 V-8 swap here. I think his nake is Nick? That is one damn nice engine swap car and would most likely command more than many well respected stock cars.
    LS1*

And there are a growing number of us LS-ers
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

Nov 81 5-speed with perfect panels, a solid frame and runs well. Some cosmetic issues to be addressed.

How much would a car that like sell for right now if it had a stock engine in it? My guess would be under $40,000, but no less than $30,000. Call it $35,000 + or -.

Your car with that same description, but with a non-stock engine is for sale right now for $20,000. So, that engine swap has devalued the car by $15,000. Plain and simple.
    I’d have to disagree. Within the last few months my brother purchased his D for $23,000, and I bought my Stage II D for $27,500. Both have perfect panels, solid frames, run and drive well. It’s a buyers market.

To the OP: $20k sounds reasonable based on your description.

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

If you want to make it original Delorean Industries sells refurbished engines.

http://www.deloreanindustries.com/1-...ne-long-block/

Its an additional 10,000 not counting the time/labor to do the swap. Personally I would only buy the car with an original engine, or a car knowing I can afford to change it back to the original.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    I’d have to disagree. Within the last few months my brother purchased his D for $23,000, and I bought my Stage II D for $27,500. Both have perfect panels, solid frames, run and drive well. It’s a buyers market.

To the OP: $20k sounds reasonable based on your description.
    I don't have access to enough data showing actual prices any cars sold at to really say one way or the other. I can only base my comments on those I do see and that's where the $35,000 number came from. Sounds like both you and your brother did well then at those prices. Car values are always going to be somewhat arbitrary and inconsistent, depending on condition, the economy, the seller's motives, the buyer's motives, etc. We'll always be able to find examples of people paying low amounts and high amounts for what's basically the same car.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The local market also has a large effect. The US is so large that different markets can have big differences in pricing.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The local market also has a large effect. The US is so large that different markets can have big differences in pricing.
    Good point, David. Lots of supply versus very little. Or lots of new jobs versus factories that have closed. The cars can be shipped of course, but you're right that it won't be one rule of thumb on prices across all of the US. Or Canada for that matter either.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Not a DeLorean Guru

So, as someone who actually owns an engine swapped car, and likely has owned his car longer than a good portion of the folks commenting, a few realities of look at engine swap cars:

1. Saying that engine swap cars sell for less (or would) is baseless. It's unknown. There simply haven't been enough swapped cars sold to have any sort of idea what it actually does to value. The Supra powered D put together by Eddie G. sold for VERY handsome money, but it's a single data point, so I can't say it raises value either. I tend to feel that engine swaps probably do lower value overall because people that want an original DMC aren't going to look at the car when considering a purchase, and people that like engine swaps are probably going to want to do their own. But again, there is insufficient data out there.

2. I personally strongly prefer swapped cars, as the PRV is an absolute slug of a motor. I'm sure I'm going to upset a number of people by saying that, but; sorry, truth hurts sometimes. Depending on how you feel about speed/power, this may or may not matter. I am a horsepower junkie, so it matters to me. Power aside, the PRV is reasonably easy to work on, there's a huge knowledge base out there for the motor, and of course you have vendor support for it. If you don't do your own wrenching, this is very important, and leads me to point 3:

3. Don't buy an engine swapped car if you don't have the skill to engine swap a car. Engine swaps, especially into a not great for swaps platform like the DMC, are highly customized by their nature, and when (not if) things go wrong, you're likely going to be on your own for figuring them out.

4. Especially don't buy an engine swapped car with the plans to return it to stock. The 2.85 PRV found in the DMC is absolutely stupidly overpriced, and the expenses for undoing the swap won't stop there. A swap touches pretty much every system in the car, so you're going to have buy a whole lot of parts and then figure out how they were originally put together. But if you really do want to return it 'close to stock', the 3.0 PRV can be had for a few hundred dollars, and while not a drop-in, is definitely easy to do by engine swap standards. Another benefit (again, as an 'if it matters to you') is that the 3.0 doesn't typically ruffle purist feathers as it is still in the PRV engine family. From a technical standpoint, it also has a few minor but still nice benefits over the 2.85 such as EFI, the smoothness from being even-fire, and less likely to explode from a turbocharger so much as merely looking at it.

5. Michael is a very handsome DMC owner, eclipsed only by how phenomenally well taken care of his mostly stock car is, and can give great advice on how to use turtles to clean the interior of your car.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Not a DeLorean Guru

Also, if the car really only truly needs cosmetics, and the engine swap is well done with a motor that really does run great, then 20k is an excellent price if you want a swapped car.

The curious side of me would like to see some pictures of the engine bay, and get some info about which V6 it is. Probably the 4.3?
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Thank you all for the comments! This helped a lot! Yes, I believe the motor is a 4.3

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post

5. Michael is a very handsome DMC owner, eclipsed only by how phenomenally well taken care of his mostly stock car is, and can give great advice on how to use turtles to clean the interior of your car.
    This is some great info! Now where to find those turtles...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast