FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fuel leak from the bottom of the car! Please help!

I got it out after finding this article and saw that the little nub stays on the hardline. I "popped" it with the 17mm wrench as the article says and it let loose from the fitting. Anyway, I pulled everything down and disconnected the hoses. Upon inspection I don't see anything in the rubber that would have caused the leak. I'm wondering if it could be the barbed fitting sticking down from the top. Any suggestions on if (or how) I should replace it?

Barbed Fitting.jpg

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

First of all- Those are *excellent* pictures. They really help show the accumulator well for someone who has not worked on it yet.

Second- Start easier, then go harder. Replace the hoses before messing with the lines. That line is between the frame and body, but there is supposed to be a small access panel under the center console you can see it from. (I have never messed with it, but I've seen other posts about it) The metal line is just a barb, so there is no reason for it to "break".

Third, you have worm gear clamps on those lines. Not fuel line clamps. I'd get a box of the correct style of clamps from the auto parts store to go along with the new hose.
    This is a picture of a fuel line clamp: https://www.delcity.net/images/photo...mary_450px.jpg
    This is a picture of a worm gear clamp: https://www.etrailer.com/static/imag...0006_3_100.jpg
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    First of all- Those are *excellent* pictures. They really help show the accumulator well for someone who has not worked on it yet.

Second- Start easier, then go harder. Replace the hoses before messing with the lines. That line is between the frame and body, but there is supposed to be a small access panel under the center console you can see it from. (I have never messed with it, but I've seen other posts about it) The metal line is just a barb, so there is no reason for it to "break".

Third, you have worm gear clamps on those lines. Not fuel line clamps. I'd get a box of the correct style of clamps from the auto parts store to go along with the new hose.
    This is a picture of a fuel line clamp: https://www.delcity.net/images/photo...mary_450px.jpg
    This is a picture of a worm gear clamp: https://www.etrailer.com/static/imag...0006_3_100.jpg
    Thanks jackb, I appreciate the feedback on the photos -- when I make a post I try to get a good shot that explains what I'm talking about . I replaced all the lines with EFI hoses (5/16" for the high pressure one, and 1/4" for the low pressure one) as well as EFI hose clamps, as per your suggestion and ... VOILA, no leaks!

Thanks everyone for your help with this.
    -Greg

NewHoses.jpgNewHosesHanging.jpgNewHosesInstalled.jpg

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

hoses

What pressure are the hoses rated at?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    +1 I was wondering the same thing. I searched the SAE 30R14T2 code on the hose and it seems to be rated for 100 psi. If so, I believe these hoses should be rated higher. For example I chose Gates Barricade 4219BF,which are rated for a max working pressure of 225 psi.

Also, if not done already, I recommend that you research the torque spec for the clamps ( it will be in inch pounds) and ensure they are tightened properly.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    If he used Gates Barricade greenshield hose SAE J13R14T2. It has a working pressure rating of 225 psi. About 4X more than the most it would ever see in the Delorean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    If he used Gates Barricade greenshield hose SAE J13R14T2. It has a working pressure rating of 225 psi. About 4X more than the most it would ever see in the Delorean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure, and I guess the SAE 30R14T2 part number visible in the picture is the low pressure return end of the accumulator. So the other hose is what's important. I bought 225 psi for both hoses and 4 fuel injection clamps. I figured this was another area on the car to get higher rated parts.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3