FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Horn - upgrading to louder and installing a relay

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    Are the horns the original factory ones? If so, they are probably just worn out. I went to Autozone and picked up a cheap high/low pair and just swapped out the original ones. Simple and easy to do and will probably provide a nice improvement for most. They won't be super loud, but do the job.

One other note, I knew another owner who's horns didn't work without the engine running. The wiring was just weak enough to not allow enough current through with only 12v, so the horns didn't run. But with the engine running, the voltage increases to 14v which allowed enough power to the horns. So try not to judge the horns without the engine running. You typically wouldn't need them with the car off anyway.
    I am one of these owners. I bought new horns from Grady to replace my broken in-op original ones. Only the high note works without the engine running. Turn on the car and I get both and they sound good. I am sure wiring is the cause of my issue. Among other things I do plan to do the relay for them when I have time.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    2678

Have a look at this post:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11...l=1#post172606

This is how I made the original horns louder.

Peter
    Always a filled fuel tank.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I am one of these owners. I bought new horns from Grady to replace my broken in-op original ones. Only the high note works without the engine running. Turn on the car and I get both and they sound good. I am sure wiring is the cause of my issue. Among other things I do plan to do the relay for them when I have time.
    Yes, it is likely in the wiring... a flakey ground or other connection. I bought 2 OEM Mixo horns as well during my restoration and made sure the wiring (especially ground) was solid. They both work without the engine on.

WOW, I was surprised at the loudness of fresh horns. No train horns required.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    That's perfect...I'm totally putting these on my car.
    Came here for the train horn comment. Was not disappointed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2