FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can someone test my MegaSquirt II 3.57?

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

It's a shielded headphone jack/plug pair...

...I'll hardwire it.

-- Joe

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...2-gauge-10-39/

run it from the sensor -> EDIS. Solder it. Cover it. Be done with it.

I did not make any sort of disconnect for mine.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I didn't get around to removing the disconnect on the CPS cable, but I did install the coil pack. I realized that for this test I didn't have to modify the wires it came with, as the plug ends are longer and thinner than the stock 3.0L ends -- I just snapped them right onto the plugs. I cut the four wires from EDIS to the coil-on-plugs and installed a 4-pin weather pack connector so I can swap pack setups more easily.

Longs story short, this is what I got:

It's idling at 1500 RPM, spits out lots of white smoke from the exhaust, and seems to take more cranks than the coil-on-plug setup did (around 10 vs. 2-3 with CoP), but it runs! And it runs smoothly (no swapped spark plug wires this time).

At this point I'm thinking that I pulled a wire in the coil-on-plug setup a bit too hard, but not enough to completely disconnect it. It may be that it's sending a lot of current down the few strands that are still holding it together, and this is confusing EDIS and keeping the CoP from working correctly. Googling suggested that EDIS is sensitive to such things, so it might well be the issue.

I'm deciding how to proceed from here. My options are to use this coil pack, get a different coil pack, or redo the CoP wiring to remove any breaks.

This coil pack's issues are figuring out how to mount the original 3.0L boots on to the 3000GT wires, or figuring out whatever terminals are on the other end of the 3000GT wires so I can put them on the 3.0L wires. I also have to figure out how to mount the coil pack. Getting another coil pack has similar issues with sourcing terminal ends and mounting.

Reworking CoP has the risk that it still won't work, but it's cheap (since I have everything already), and doesn't have any mounting issues. I would also butcher one of the new $15 sets 3.0L wires I got and install those boots on the coils, since they seem to hold spark plugs far more securely than the ones that originally came with the engine.

That's something for after Thanksgiving though.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

-- Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2