FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How do I remove a broken spark plug?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks! That worked.

PITA but what I would try is -

Remove the collar/ring that goes into the plug well for more access.

Find someone to weld a rod to the extractor.

After rotating the engine to be sure the fitting doesn't hit, run the engine (you'll flood the cylinder) or find a way to heat the cylinder head up.

Try a long small pair of needle nose pliers

Try the extractor.

Try drilling with left-hand drill bit.

Try liquid metal on a rod pressed down into/on the fitting.

I doubt there is enough room to weld a rod to the actual fitting but that would be another option.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    That's odd, it comes up for me...

How about this one?

Attachment 58402
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If that part of the tester is hardened you will not be able to drill it or get an extractor to "bite" into it. Welding a wrenchable stub to it may be an option. Try tapping it back and forth, up and down. If you can get it to move you may be able to get it loose enough to turn. At this point it doesn't matter if you damage the threads, you can repair them after you get that thing out. I don't agree with trying to run the motor.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

How do I remove a broken spark plug?

So don’t run the motor then. But find a way to heat the head up. Heat makes things much easier to remove.
    -----Dan B.

No good way to get the heat where you need it unless you remove the head. I agree heat can help but only if you can heat the right part. That part is only supposed to be hand tight. I can't believe it is so stuck that some tapping and prodding can't get it loose.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Based on the photo, I would first start with a small extractor connected to an extension. The small extractor needs to fit into the inner compression tube. They make extractors small enough. The problem is a small extractor may not have enough grip to turn the stuck compression tool if it is somewhat tight. On the other hand, it may have broken because of lateral forces not because it was over-tightened. If so, it may turn relatively easy. If the extractor doesn't work, a next approach might be to select a reasonably stout section of tubing that will fit snugly right over the compression tool. Fill the end of the tube with JB weld 8627 steelstick steel reinforced epoxy putty. Keep the putty recessed in the tube to avoid getting any putty in the opening. Insert the tube and press it on the compression tool. This must be done quickly because the JB weld will begin to harden and you want it to still be pliable when to "set" it to the tool. Let it set for at least a day before trying to turn the tube and extract the compression tool.

Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 10-25-2018 at 04:09 AM.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Try drilling with left-hand drill bit.
    I'd be hesitant about drilling unless it was a true last resort. I assume this thing is hollow, and any drill shavings that drop are going to end up in the cylinder. I suppose you could send a hose connected to a vacuum into the cylinder afterward, but I still don't know if I'd risk it.

I'd probably try one of the square easy outs that you hammer into a hole. Find one small enough to go into the hole that is already there, and use it to extract it. There can't be much torque on it if you hand screwed it into place so it's just a matter of getting a bite on it.

The smaller the extractor (Easy Out) the less strength it has and is easy to break off. I have had a bunch of cases where I had to fix something that someone broke a tap, a drill, or an extractor off in and that makes fixing things another magnitude harder than the original problem. Going for that extractor, drill or tap might seem like the quick, easy fix but you must consider what you are going to do if it doesn't work out as optimistically as you hope.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    02613

I bought a drill bit extender. That plus the easy-out worked like a charm.

EZduzzit.jpg

Thanks, everyone!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10353

I say take off and nuke the entire plug from orbit. It's the only way to be sure...

I've had some frustrating times with this car but you've definitely got it worse this time. Hope you're able to use some of the good advice above to get it out, good luck!

Edit: oh sweet you got it free while I was typing a reply, good job!

My VIN:    02613

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I assume this thing is hollow,
    Sorry, didn't see this until now.

No, it's not hollow. It has a Schrader valve in the end. I drilled just enough to fit the smallest easy-out in my set, then blew out the shavings with compressed air and used the easy-out. Looked down in there and it's clean.

This is an Arctron (sp?) compression tester kit, by the way - if anyone was interested.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast