FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Otterstat question

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Erratic behavior by the "O" switch can also be caused by air in the system and/or a bad thermostat. The thermostat is supposed to open before the "O" switch turns on the fans. Also if you have the very early plumbing you should upgrade it to the later style where the "O" switch is on the bottom of the pipe. While the "O" switch is fragile, once installed and working satisfactorily, it should last a while. My guess in your case, the thermostat is not opening and closing the way it should. Typically a bad "O" switch won't turn on the fans. A thermostat stuck open won't keep the motor at operating temperature, ie, it never warms up. It is supposed to stay closed till it gets to 180. Replace the thermostat and rebleed the system.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I've also found that seriously overheating the engine will damage the otterstat. You'll find this out when you get it cooled off, filled back up, and bled, and the fans no longer come on.

Although sometimes it may be that the otterstat failure caused the overheat, so it's hard to tell for sure.

And where Bitsyncmaster mentions removing it, he really means disconnecting it. If you remove it you have a huge leak in the coolant pipe!
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    REDACTED

i have used the modern "otterstat" from DeLoreanGo on my car for the last 6-7 months...its worked flawlessly, and seems to very robust in quality. otter.JPG
    Kolin Brown
    El Presidente
    Indiana DeLorean Motor Club

VIN 3513 (I think), 1.9L VW TDI (ALH) swap, UN1 trans, mechanical injection, Holset HE200WG turbo, Certified Shitbox
    Find me on Tubi! Rally North America

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry S. Truman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2