FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Otterstat question

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Otterstat question

Hey All,

Sorry if this same question has been posted before. I didn't see it in my search, but here we go:

Just installed a new otterstat. Tested by idling up to temp, fans came on at the appropriate temp, and then turned off at the appropriate temp during the cycle. Interestingly, after the first cycle, the fans then came on again at a much lower temperature (approximately 175 deg F), stayed on for about 10 seconds, and then turned off. This happened every few minutes, never letting the coolant get back up to the original ~205 degree temp.

Is this expected behavior?

My VIN:    16409

It's probably faulty. I seen that behavior from otterstats that are failing. In my experience they are pretty unreliable. Dave M on the forum has come up with a much better solution. Toby Peterson was selling his adjustable fan switch for years which is a great replacement. Unfortunately, his supplier is no longer making a critical part he needs and is not selling them currently.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I have also seen new otter stats fail quickly. Makes me wonder if the package was dropped in shipping or something.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

It's normal to get shorter fan run times on the first few cycles of the engine warming up. It does that because the radiator is cold and as soon as the thermostat opens that cold coolant is returned to the engine.

My electronic otterstat is not a big seller because it requires wiring a new relay socket which many owners are scared to do.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Thanks for the info guys. I'll do some more tests on it, see what happens.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I have also seen new otter stats fail quickly. Makes me wonder if the package was dropped in shipping or something.
    They are insanely fragile. Drop it on the ground and you may as well throw it away.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    It's normal to get shorter fan run times on the first few cycles of the engine warming up. It does that because the radiator is cold and as soon as the thermostat opens that cold coolant is returned to the engine.

My electronic otterstat is not a big seller because it requires wiring a new relay socket which many owners are scared to do.
    I'm still interested in getting your electronic otterstat (no issues with mine, simply to get as an upgrade) when funds allow.
    My understanding from our earlier PMs and the instructions on your webpage is that the relay socket is for the controller, but I still don't understand where it gets the temperature from? Can you explain how it works in better detail? (asking here instead of more PMs so the info is available for others potentially interested in switching/upgrading over to yours)
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    I'm still interested in getting your electronic otterstat (no issues with mine, simply to get as an upgrade) when funds allow.
    My understanding from our earlier PMs and the instructions on your webpage is that the relay socket is for the controller, but I still don't understand where it gets the temperature from? Can you explain how it works in better detail? (asking here instead of more PMs so the info is available for others potentially interested in switching/upgrading over to yours)
    My otterstat taps into the wire going to the temperature gauge (the sender wire). So it reads the engine temperature the same as the gauge shows. You set the temperature where you want the fans to turn on via a dip switch on my unit. You can keep the OEM otterstat wired as stock so you now would have a redundant otterstat function. If you set mine to turn on the fans before the OEM otterstat then the OEM otterstat would be the backup. If you set mine to turn on fans after the OEM otterstat then mine would be the backup. Or you can remove the OEM otterstat and just use mine.

Mine will also give you an audio warning beep if your engine overheats. I have programmed a little higher than the fan on temp to give you the warning but the user can also set the warning temp if needed. One of my customers needed to set his warning temp a lot higher because his engine would heat up a lot even after the fans turned on.

So you need to tap into that sender wire, the wire that drives the fuel relay (that powers my unit), a ground wire and the wire that drives the fan relay (that turns the fans on).
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 10-30-2018 at 05:31 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My otterstat taps into the wire going to the temperature gauge (the sender wire). So it reads the engine temperature the same as the gauge shows. You set the temperature where you want the fans to turn on via a dip switch on my unit. You can keep the OEM otterstat wired as stock so you now would have a redundant otterstat function. If you set mine to turn on the fans before the OEM otterstat then the OEM otterstat would be the backup. If you set mine to turn on fans after the OEM otterstat then mine would be the backup. Or you can remove the OEM otterstat and just use mine.

Mine will also give you an audio warning beep if your engine overheats. I have programmed a little higher than the fan on temp to give you the warning but the user can also set the warning temp if needed. One of my customers needed to set his warning temp a lot higher because his engine would heat up a lot even after the fans turned on.

So you need to tap into that sender wire, the wire that drives the fuel relay (that powers my unit), a ground wire and the wire that drives the fan relay (that turns the fans on).

Ok, I think I get it...
    The factory wiring has it set up so the temp sender (at the water pump/thermostat) only controls the gauge, and the otterstat (in the coolant pipe on the drivers side) only controls the cooling fans.
    Your electric otterstat piggybacks off the signal from the sender, to activate the cooling fan relay connected to its output.
    The old input to the fan relay, coming from the original otterstat, remains in place.
    Is that right?
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Ok, I think I get it...
    The factory wiring has it set up so the temp sender (at the water pump/thermostat) only controls the gauge, and the otterstat (in the coolant pipe on the drivers side) only controls the cooling fans.
    Your electric otterstat piggybacks off the signal from the sender, to activate the cooling fan relay connected to its output.
    The old input to the fan relay, coming from the original otterstat, remains in place.
    Is that right?
    That is correct. The fan relay remains also connected to the AC compressor and OEM otterstat via diodes. My unit also has a diode inside it so any or all those devices can turn the fan relay on,.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast