FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door launcher relay question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Door launcher relay question

In a few days I am going to redo my switch row. I'm going to put an old window switch on a dummy switch location to pop the passenger door. I often find myself waiting on my wife in the car and I would like to just pop her door alone (my system is set to launch either my door or both doors at once, but not to launch just the pass door). I think if I just set up a dead short of two relay pins that should trigger it right? If so does anyone know off the top of their head which 2 pins? (87 and 87a for example).

If this works I will have to make a point to lock the doors while driving from now on, which is something I should be doing anyway but rarely do.

On the other dummy slot I will have a on/off switch to control my ambient lighting.
    Last edited by Michael; 10-30-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I believe it's pins 30 and 87. One should be going to a 12v positive and another to the wiring that runs to the solenoid in the door. Normally you don't want to just short these two pins with a small switch as that puts the full load on a switch. However, the window switches are designed for high current and compared to the window motors, will have a very easy time handling the solenoid. If you do this correctly, it shouldn't impact your driver side door launching.

I recommend getting a Mattaligner or cover for those switches. As you noted, accidentally launching the door while driving is very bad and a safety risk. Not to mention the stress that puts on the door! Getting in the habit of locking the doors when starting the car is a wise idea as well.

Even without a switch, just with remote - I recommend to block the door launchers when the ignition is on.

This should be integrated in the remote kit, I suggested that >10 years ago.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I agree with the door lock thoughts. It might make a good project for someone handy with electronics to design a kit that locks/unlocks doors with the ignition or shifter like many modern cars have.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone!

I agree with the door lock thoughts. It might make a good project for someone handy with electronics to design a kit that locks/unlocks doors with the ignition or shifter like many modern cars have.
    I just disabled that function in my new 2018. I just think it will wear out the linkage do it that many times a day.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10353

Someone obviously didn't attend cotillion as a young man since he should get out of the car to open m'lady's door!

I need to redo my switches as well. I’ve adjusted them numerous times but they still shift and eventually get stuck. So annoying.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    I need to redo my switches as well. I’ve adjusted them numerous times but they still shift and eventually get stuck. So annoying.
    A mattaligner is incredible. It brings the switches to perfect, stable alignment, and isn’t a flimsy peice of garbage. With the guard at the aft side of the switches to help prevent inadvertant activation, it’s great. There is a small rubber trim peice (black and grey both included) to cover the edge of that guard for comfort.
    It is a great upgrade. I wouldn’t say *essential*, but for the price it costs and the degree it enhances the car, it’s a no brainer. Get one.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    A mattaligner is incredible. It brings the switches to perfect, stable alignment, and isn’t a flimsy peice of garbage. With the guard at the aft side of the switches to help prevent inadvertant activation, it’s great. There is a small rubber trim peice (black and grey both included) to cover the edge of that guard for comfort.
    It is a great upgrade. I wouldn’t say *essential*, but for the price it costs and the degree it enhances the car, it’s a no brainer. Get one.
    Thanks. I was looking at a Mattaligner today. Looks like a great product.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    If the switches are stuck then it is most likely due to the center "armrest" portion of the console has collapsed. This happens as people use it as a brace to get in and out. I had an issue with my switches sticking (especially the larger led window switches) and I solved it by placing stiff closed cell foam under the console next to the ashtray. This wedges between the console and underbody and raises the console back to a factory height and frees up and sticking switches.
    The Mattaligner has nothing but positive reviews but I don't know if it address that issue. I was under the impression it restored the broken down switch cutouts to align the switches all nice and neat. It may fix both issues?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast