FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Acceleration Issue

My VIN:    3937

Damn it... keep forgetting where I put that sarcasm font.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Well, Jonathan's post was #4. Your post was #7....not that anyone is counting.

My VIN:    2412

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It would have to be a picture of it cut open to see anything. If the filter was plugged up enough to mess up the shifting you have to worry about how much friction materiel is left on the discs. While the problem may seem to be solved, it remains to be seen if it starts slipping soon. The line pressure should be checked and a picture of the pan before you cleaned it would be useful too. Was there any metal in the pan and if so, how much? BTW, I was the first to raise the possibility of the transmission as the source of the problem. Sometimes you get a lucky guess. The main thing here is the wide ranging amount of brainpower and experience that we can bring on a problem and help get it resolved. I ask for no credit and am happy we got another Delorean going again.
    I didn’t notice any metal in the pan. It was a little sludgy. There was a small magnet on the filter that had some metal on it. I cleaned it and stuck it to the new filter.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is still necessary to cut the filter open to see how much debris is actually inside. I agree it is better to replace than clean but for a long time filters were not available. If there is enough debris inside to plug the filter up there probably is not a lot of life left in the friction discs and a rebuild will be necessary sometime soon. A plugged filter is another after-effect of a bad shift computer or very high mileage. Like the clutch in a 5 speed the friction plates in an automatic transmission wear when you shift. When enough friction materiel comes off the plates will start slipping. A plugged filter lowers the internal line pressure so the plates aren't held together tight enough and that causes slipping and excessive plate wear. The excessive plate wear creates more friction materiel and that just plugs the filter up more. That is why it is important to open the filter and see how much friction materiel is shed and how much metal. Bottom line a plugged filter is not a cause, it is a symptom. If you only fix the symptom you will just get it back again if you do not fix the cause (unless it is just a lot of mileage). The magnet is supposed to sit in the pan on that round bump. If it was not in it's correct position it means you were not the first one inside. Recheck the fluid level after a few miles as per the procedure in the manual. Don't forget to also check the final drive too.
    Last edited by David T; 11-15-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It is still necessary to cut the filter open to see how much debris is actually inside. I agree it is better to replace than clean but for a long time filters were not available. If there is enough debris inside to plug the filter up there probably is not a lot of life left in the friction discs and a rebuild will be necessary sometime soon. A plugged filter is another after-effect of a bad shift computer or very high mileage. Like the clutch in a 5 speed the friction plates in an automatic transmission wear when you shift. When enough friction materiel comes off the plates will start slipping. A plugged filter lowers the internal line pressure so the plates aren't held together tight enough and that causes slipping and excessive plate wear. The excessive plate wear creates more friction materiel and that just plugs the filter up more. That is why it is important to open the filter and see how much friction materiel is shed and how much metal. Bottom line a plugged filter is not a cause, it is a symptom. If you only fix the symptom you will just get it back again if you do not fix the cause (unless it is just a lot of mileage). The magnet is supposed to sit in the pan on that round bump. If it was not in it's correct position it means you were not the first one inside. Recheck the fluid level after a few miles as per the procedure in the manual. Don't forget to also check the final drive too.
    Ans YES, Jonathon, you did mention the trans filter first. Congratulations. I am happy to see that others are getting good at diagnosing problems too. I will not be here forever so it is good to see that others are getting good at this. Especially the automatic transmission. To many it is a mysterious wet box that when it breaks, costs a lot to fix.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Do you need a hug, Dave? 'Cause you seem like you could use a hug.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4