FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Acceleration Issue

My VIN:    Midproduction

My first question would be, did you do anything to the car before the symptom showed up?

Second, it does seem like a transmission issue. There are a lot of simple things you can check before going down the rabbit hole like, have you checked your trans fluid levels?

Make sure to check the governor control cable adjustment (Workshop Manual G:05:02). It’s an easy thing to check, and your shifting will be off if incorrectly adjusted. (Probably on all gears though).

After that I would check transmission wiring for any signs of burning or melting, followed by verifying vacuum connections to the transmission.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It would be interesting to see what it does if you lock it into 1st and let it wind up to ~3000 RPM then hold it there a few seconds...

My VIN:    2412

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thanks everyone. Work just got really busy so I haven’t had time to look into it. I’m hoping to spend the 14th on it. I have a fuel filter, transmission filter and pan gasket on the way. I’ll visually inspect the governor while I’m working on those. Thanks again!

My VIN:    2412

Club(s):   (DMA)

I just changed the transmission fluid and replaced the transmission filter. The problem has been resolved. Thanks everyone!

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    That sounds to me like either the shift computer on your car is acting up or your auto trans fluid filter is plugged.

Has your shift computer ever been rebuilt? Or inspected recently to see if any of the wires have gotten melted laying too close to the exhaust piping?

When was the last time you changed the transmission filter? Or fluid? The ATF filters Michael helped reproduce are a good product.
    Quote Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
    I just changed the transmission fluid and replaced the transmission filter. The problem has been resolved. Thanks everyone!
    Whoo hoo!! We have a winner! 10 Internet points for moi, your one and only resident DeLorean guru.

Humbly yours,

The Fixer

hahahahaha!!!

j/k ...glad to hear you got it all sorted out.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by SShaw View Post

I would LOVE to see a pic of the old filter

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I would LOVE to see a pic of the old filter

It would have to be a picture of it cut open to see anything. If the filter was plugged up enough to mess up the shifting you have to worry about how much friction materiel is left on the discs. While the problem may seem to be solved, it remains to be seen if it starts slipping soon. The line pressure should be checked and a picture of the pan before you cleaned it would be useful too. Was there any metal in the pan and if so, how much? BTW, I was the first to raise the possibility of the transmission as the source of the problem. Sometimes you get a lucky guess. The main thing here is the wide ranging amount of brainpower and experience that we can bring on a problem and help get it resolved. I ask for no credit and am happy we got another Delorean going again.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It would have to be a picture of it cut open to see anything. If the filter was plugged up enough to mess up the shifting you have to worry about how much friction materiel is left on the discs. While the problem may seem to be solved, it remains to be seen if it starts slipping soon. The line pressure should be checked and a picture of the pan before you cleaned it would be useful too. Was there any metal in the pan and if so, how much? BTW, I was the first to raise the possibility of the transmission as the source of the problem. Sometimes you get a lucky guess. The main thing here is the wide ranging amount of brainpower and experience that we can bring on a problem and help get it resolved. I ask for no credit and am happy we got another Delorean going again.
    Well, Jonathan's post was #4. Your post was #7....not that anyone is counting.

Yes, helping people out is the main reason we are all here, and I'm also glad that the OP solved the problem. It's nice to see the results posted. That helps the entire community with a searchable use case for the problem.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Well, Jonathan's post was #4. Your post was #7....not that anyone is counting.

Yes, helping people out is the main reason we are all here, and I'm also glad that the OP solved the problem. It's nice to see the results posted. That helps the entire community with a searchable use case for the problem.
    Don't argue with him - he has a mustache!
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It would have to be a picture of it cut open to see anything.
    Which is partially my point guru. People look at the one triangle intake and see clean mesh and assume the filter is clean. I am not in the filter business anymore so I can be unbiased but owners need to know to freaking replace an oe filter no matter how clean it looks. Before new filters were avaliable there was an acceptable excuse to rip them apart and try to clean them and put them back together, now there just isn't.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast