FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can someone identify these wires?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Can someone identify these wires?

I noticed a melted fuse holder in my relay compartment. I know thisbis not factory but I can't remember if installed these with my wings a loft kit or being a refurb if this is a DMCH rewired mod to maybe the headlight switch or something. I removed the melted fuse and I am gpong to replace the holder but I sure would like to know what it's for?

20181104_090622.jpg

20181104_090637.jpg

My VIN:    2678

Maybe this is a bypass of the fan fail module socket. It seems that a brown (brown/slate ?) cable is splitted into two inline fuse sockets going onto green/black cables. A brown/slate cable is usually going to the fan fail module. From there green/black cables are going to the cooling fans without additional fuses.
    You can check if these fuses are for the cooling fans by switching on the a/c to start the fans. Two fuses -> two fans should run loud. One fuse -> one fan should run not so loud. No fuse -> no fan, silence.

--Peter
    Always a filled fuel tank.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Fan fail mod. The Black/Green wires coming out of the fuse holders feed the radiator fans. The Black one probably replaces/ties into a Brown/Slate wire which supplies power from the circuit breaker. (It may connect directly to the breaker or plugged into the right most (passenger side) relay socket along with the Black/Green ones, where the Blue relay was originally installed.)

See Bulletin ST-06-9/82 for correct wiring.

Awesome. Thanks guys! The fuse holder was pretty corroded so I am assuming that is the reason it got hot to begin with.

My VIN:    10353

I found your answer in this thread!

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...fy-these-wires

I accidentally made a double post when I tried to edit one for clarity. A mod can delete one.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-04-2018 at 12:23 PM.

My VIN:    3937

That fused link is here: http://store.delorean.com/p-7225-wire-link-fused.aspx

Typically, you install it in the original blue fan fail relay socket after you remove the relay from that location. If the receptacle itself is not reuseable (i.e. melted), then you can wire things up directly (as Ron was mentioning).

I think we got our cars at roughly the same time (2007 for me, but bought parts galore in 2008 and 2009). Mine wasn't a refurb but I have (had) the same fused link. And I would imagine it was made about the same time. The reason I mention that is mine just got all melty about a month ago.

Funny getting a primary colours refresher in your fuse and relay area. Guess what happens when those yellow tabs melt together with a blue relay receptacle? You get green coloured plastic! I caught it before anything awful happened thankfully. Seemed like my fans were doing weird stuff so had a look and I found the double connection had melted together into the receptacle.

Admittedly, I had seen this fused link change colours slightly on the metal ends in the past year or two but hadn't checked it super recently. I think it had gotten corroded or something and the contact surface area had gotten smaller so that same amount of current was going through a smaller and smaller amount of metal. Thus getting hotter and hotter. End result was a melted receptacle.

I redid the fused link and wired it directly together for now. I intend on putting it back like it was meant when I get my hands on a replacement receptacle. Likely a winter project.

Perhaps after seeing this a couple times now, and also knowing another owner nearby that has seen it on cars he has experience with, it should be added to the current and annual check-up of things to inspect for condition. At least once per season I would think. Like looking at your axle boots, tie rod ends, sway bar bushings and any number of other things on the car needing to be regularly inspected.

Note: there is some debate as to whether the fused part is really necessary as it seems that when the fans fail, they melt stuff before they actually blow a fuse. I think Dave Bitsync was factoring this into one of his electrical products. Not sure about details though.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about getting one of Dave's fan fail relays but the way my car is wired(mode switch controls fan rather than compressor engagement) I was wondering if it is even needed or what advantage it would have? It may not even work in my car. I didn't make it to the parts store to get some inline fuse holders. Judging by the other one, I'm going to replace both holders. It's supposed to be raining all this week so it's a good time to dive into the car for less than glamorous repairs.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Note: there is some debate as to whether the fused part is really necessary as it seems that when the fans fail, they melt stuff before they actually blow a fuse. I think Dave Bitsync was factoring this into one of his electrical products. Not sure about details though.
    I did fuse testing and it turns out the BUSS brand fuses will melt and not open circuit if run a little above the rated current. Use LITTLE FUSE brand fuses and they don't melt and will eventually open circuit.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I did fuse testing and it turns out the BUSS brand fuses will melt and not open circuit if run a little above the rated current. Use LITTLE FUSE brand fuses and they don't melt and will eventually open circuit.
    So when I replace the holders use the mini fuse holders? Or are you saying still a standard sized blade fuse and "Little Fuse" is a brand name? Should I still use 20amp or maybe drop it to 15amp?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast