FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Right front wheel hot, smell burning rubber

My VIN:    754

Right front wheel hot, smell burning rubber

I've been noticing a burning rubber smell and found that it's my right front wheel(hot to touch) something to do with either the brakes or the axle however I did we build the caliper about 2 years ago. It seems a break fine and doesn't drag that I can notice. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My VIN:    3937

Start by taking that wheel off and inspecting. You can do it after the car has sat or right after you go for a drive and it is hot. You should be able to spin the wheel (or hub if the wheel's been removed) freely with your hands when the car is raised. If it is difficult to turn, that's probably telling you the calipers are sticking. Just seeing what things look like with the wheel off might tell you something too. I wouldn't normally think of brakes sticking as smelling like rubber, so maybe you've got another issue in there. Look and find out. Take a picture or two and post here if you want more opinions on what you see.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Is your front end lowered? Possibly the tire is rubbing in the wheel-well?
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Lifting the weight off the car may increase the space between the tire and whatever is rubbing it. I would look at both tires while the car is resting on the ground. Turn to full lock both directions and look again. Since you mentioned burning rubber I doubt a wheel is getting hot enough to do that. Wheels will get warm from brake heat transferring, but if one wheel is much hotter than the other, then I would look at a caliper dragging but since you mentioned burnt rubber look closely at the tie rod ends or anything touching the inner tire walls.

My VIN:    10270

if the brakes are stuck you might be smelling a torched piston dust boot.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    03572

I had the same problem (drivers side wheel would sometimes get hot from brake sticking) when I first got my car. I rebuilt my front calipers many times, found nothing wrong but it finally stopped sticking. It seemed like the passenger side would release all the brake pressure and not let the drivers side release enough. So your problem may be in either side of the front brakes.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/