FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stereo and Speaker Suggestions

Stereo and Speaker Suggestions

As I was under my dash replacing my flasher relay today, I got to checking out my awesome front, stock 3.5. inch Craig Speakers... My driver's side used to work but appears not to anymore and neither does the rear passenger side. Unless it is some fade setting on my stereo or a bad connection I cannot find, maybe they are blown. I have an aftermarket removable Sony Head Unit with CD player placed there by the prior owner. Anyone ever have just the driver's side rear and front passenger speaker working only? I actually would not mind putting the stock Craig tape deck (early radio) back in for a more period correct look, and I have seen some of you running around like that with Blue Tooth connectivity to it. Any other cool ideas? This will be a Spring project most likely but planning ahead. My current set up leaves much to be desired.

My VIN:    Midproduction

You won't get too much variance from 3.5" speakers alone so most options out there are good. If there's one thing I can recommend is to use spacers if you end up using speakers that protrude; Otherwise they will push and potentially crack your dash vinyl. BTW, you can also improve the sound by adding a baffle. https://www.crutchfield.com/g_762/Fo...s.html?tp=2809

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    You won't get too much variance from 3.5" speakers alone so most options out there are good. If there's one thing I can recommend is to use spacers if you end up using speakers that protrude; Otherwise they will push and potentially crack your dash vinyl. BTW, you can also improve the sound by adding a baffle. https://www.crutchfield.com/g_762/Fo...s.html?tp=2809
    That might be the best option provided I can figure out why 2/4 work currently.

My VIN:    Midproduction

I'd plug in a working one on the other 2 positions. Just don't cut the vinyl off the rear speaker panels during removal as *incorrectly* suggested on google. A little heat will bring that panel off in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    I'd plug in a working one on the other 2 positions. Just don't cut the vinyl off the rear speaker panels during removal as *incorrectly* suggested on google. A little heat will bring that panel off in no time.
    I can test the front ones pretty easily doing that, and I figured that would be my next step.

My VIN:    3937

You'll probably learn a lot from just taking a closer look at them.

My original speakers looked like this when they came out:

IMG_3228.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10353

I was in similar situation as you. I wanted to keep original head unit but improve the sound slightly. Ended up adding this kenwood bluetooth amp and wiring it right into the stock speaker wires. I did replace the front speakers since that's a fairly easy job but left the rears.

Honestly the sound isn't dramatically improved, but then again I didnt want to go messing with the rear speakers just yet.

The amp is like $150 and fits right behind the glove box, turns on automatically when the stereo is on and then I control the music and volume via my phone. It also has a small control unit that I have hidden under my driver seat.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

One quick and easy way to test speakers is to put a 1.5 volt battery across the terminals and listen for a click. It won't tell you how well it works but it will tell you it is still connected. The original speakers by now are no good. The cones have separated from the frames and the foam has turned to dust. They are not worth repairing, replacement is the best option. The rears are a pain because you have to remove the whole cover but there is no other way to get to them. If you upgrade the head unit you should "upgrade" the wiring to the speakers. Be careful not to get speakers with tweeter horns that protrude above the frame. If you do, you must provide spacers and extend the studs so you can properly mount them. For ideas look at Crutchfield.com There are places that can add hidden functionality to old radios or they can gut them and give you almost everything modern. Can get expensive. DMCH sells a din bracket so you can install more modern radios.
    David Teitelbaum

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

I have the Alpine HD149BT head unit which has wireless Bluetooth connectivity with hands-free calling along with Pandora and XM Satellite Radio. I have Power Bass front speakersand Kicker rear speakers what's a 8 inch Alpine subwoofer and a 300w amp behind the seat on the driver side. I have my microphone just above the driver side sun visor out of sight and I love how everything works and sounds in the car but I think I am going to buy those front baffles for the front dash speakers since they just sit openly under the dash. I can also taylor the head unit to change four different colors from red blue green and orange.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi.

Similar to you, I wanted to preserve the period correct look, plus minimal non-stock equipment. So, I have the stock Craig that I refurbished myself and 4 new Kicker speakers. I had the console out to do other work so I added an MP3 aux jack to the Craig and hid it in the ashtray. I also have the ION Bluetooth cassette unit which works well, but I find that I use the aux jack the most. I have several pictures of the installation process so let me know if you need them.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast