FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Flywheel inspection plate 101073

My VIN:    3937

Flywheel inspection plate 101073

Wondering if anyone has a picture of this part installed on their car?

http://store.delorean.com/p-8467-flywhl-insp-plate.aspx

It is a "flywheel inspection plate" and part number 101073. I hadn't realized there even was such a thing until seeing it inadvertently on the parts website. It is the same part on the manual transmission too.

Makes me think it is meant to be a guard of sorts to cover the exposed lowest portion of the flywheel, but not sure that is right. Can't quite tell how it might look installed to know if my car even has one or where exactly it would be.

Thanks.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It does mount to the bottom of the bell housing. Because of the frame it is a real PITA to remove and install so often, if it is removed, it is not reinstalled. Doesn't seem to really matter.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Jonathan,

Yeah, I bought one and hardware to install as mine didn't have one either (M/T). It's still in my parts cabinet. Dave Swingle said they aren't necessary on the Delorean because of the rearward facing orientation and the location of the frame that shields the flywheel. He also said that if I choose to install it, one needs to remove the bolts on the 2 engine mounts and lift the engine enough to have enough room to maneuver it in place.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

It would be a bit of a hard part to take a good photo of installed Jonathan, you really can’t see it. I’ve got a few I’ve never bothered putting on if you need one

My VIN:    3937

Thanks for the explanations. And the practical side of it too. One of my favorite things about working with Dave at Midwest for all those years learning about and fixing my car was the honest advice you'd get. And sometimes the advice was about what your car DIDN'T need. Cheers

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The part made a lot of sense in a car with the engine facing forward and the flywheel exposed. In the DeLorean the opening faces rearward and is very adequately covered by the frame.
    I usually use that plate as a clutch indicator. If the plate is still there, the clutch is probably original.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I tried to buy one, but Dave told me i was better off without it!
    I have since moved on to other things, always with an exposed flywheel and no issues.

As other have mentioned the orientation of the engine makes the plate non-essential.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.