FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Passenger door stuck

Passenger door stuck

Well it finally happened. The passenger door got stuck closed on a quick trip to pick up donuts this morning. The good news is the donuts were delicious.

When I finally got the door opened, I noticed a broken piece of white plastic hanging out of the front latch mechanism. I removed it with pliers. While fooling around with the latch I managed to push it into the latched position and now it I can’t get it to the unlatched position.

Anyone have an idea for my next step?

BB895701-DD05-4DD2-AD69-C8C1B0BB369D.jpgF9DBB390-1BB0-4F9B-A412-D56E801CA475.jpg

My VIN:    5312

start here i think. I wish the parts list had a better blown up photo, looking at that as well http://support.delorean.com/kb/a101/...ation-new.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    start here i think. I wish the parts list had a better blown up photo, looking at that as well http://support.delorean.com/kb/a101/...ation-new.aspx
    Thanks. I’ve got the trim off (pain in the butt) and the latches out. I’m not sure what happened but I’m going to clean and relube the latches.

I’m considering leaving the lock rods off. I’m wondering if my son hit the lock button and somehow caused the lock to stick. Either way I don’t want that to happen again. I never lock the doors, so I’m really curious what went wrong.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    While fooling around with the latch I managed to push it into the latched position and now it I can’t get it to the unlatched position.

Anyone have an idea for my next step?

BB895701-DD05-4DD2-AD69-C8C1B0BB369D.jpgF9DBB390-1BB0-4F9B-A412-D56E801CA475.jpg
    Make sure the door is unlocked(should be) pull up on the door handle and it should unlatch, if not, pull the latch with a screwdriver blade while pulling up on the release handle.

You should consider doing a wedgectomy on your latches.
    Best thing I ever did to my doors. You can find instructions elsewhere.
    Robert
    vin 3915

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Make sure the door is unlocked(should be) pull up on the door handle and it should unlatch, if not, pull the latch with a screwdriver blade while pulling up on the release handle.
    Thanks. I did try that several times after cleaning and lubricating them. I found every now and then the front latch will stick a little with the door open, unlocked, pushing down on the latch with a screwdriver while pulling the release handle. I’m not sure why. Most of the time the screwdriver could push the latch open with no problems, and then maybe after 20 successful tries the latch gets sticky and requires more force on the screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    You should consider doing a wedgectomy on your latches.
    Best thing I ever did to my doors. You can find instructions elsewhere.
    Robert
    vin 3915
    I’ll look into that, thanks.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

While it may seem the easy way out, disconnecting and removing all of the locking mechanism, it is there for 2 reasons. The first one (the obvious one) is to prevent anyone from entering the car that doesn't have a key (or a remote fob if installed). The less obvious reason may be more important. In the event of a crash, if the latches are locked, the door can't be opened because the release mechanism is disconnected when the door is locked. This is meant to prevent the accidental opening of the door to maintain structural integrity of the car and prevent the occupants from being ejected in a crash. During a crash the inertia switch is supposed to unlock the doors so a first responder can open the door and remove an unconscious occupant. I mention this only so anyone disabling the locking mechanism also knows it is a safety system too. Like bypassing the inertia switch, removing the capture brackets for the hood, and other built-in safety items meant to protect the occupants.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    While it may seem the easy way out, disconnecting and removing all of the locking mechanism, it is there for 2 reasons.
    Thanks, I hadn’t thought of that. I left the lock rods installed. Drove the car today with my son and had zero issues.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    While it may seem the easy way out, disconnecting and removing all of the locking mechanism, it is there for 2 reasons. The first one (the obvious one) is to prevent anyone from entering the car that doesn't have a key (or a remote fob if installed). The less obvious reason may be more important. In the event of a crash, if the latches are locked, the door can't be opened because the release mechanism is disconnected when the door is locked. This is meant to prevent the accidental opening of the door to maintain structural integrity of the car and prevent the occupants from being ejected in a crash. During a crash the inertia switch is supposed to unlock the doors so a first responder can open the door and remove an unconscious occupant. I mention this only so anyone disabling the locking mechanism also knows it is a safety system too. Like bypassing the inertia switch, removing the capture brackets for the hood, and other built-in safety items meant to protect the occupants.
    You are over thinking this.

I have removed my front lock rods. Makes these doors a little less of a nightmare.

If you get into bad of enough of a crash to flip down the locks, it would likely bend the rods if they are present.
    You could also wire the lock arm up so it doesn't move if you are that paranoid.
    Last edited by Josh; 11-15-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast