FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Headliner help

My VIN:    2234

I'm fairly certain the headliner fabric I pulled off my center board is original ('81 black interior automatic). Based on the amount of foam that was left, it appears to be a 1/8" foam backing.

Getting ahold of some automotive trim samples, I was able to make a nearly perfect color match to Item #: PH-1810 "Medium Dark Grey" from yourautotrim.com. However, it appears this color in only sold in a thicker 3/16" foam backing. Additionally, I noticed from the sample board I bought that the weave pattern of the fabric doesn't quite match the original.

On the other hand, the foam thickness and fabric weave pattern on the headliner sample board I got from headliner-magic.com does match the original. But I can't match the color. The closest color is # 2076 "Medium Graphite", which I can live with.

Ultimately, my conundrum comes down to this: I'd like the molded edges/slopes/indentation of the backing boards to be well-defined. How likely am I to loose that definition if I use a 3/16" foam backing versus a 1/8" foam backing? For example, am I likely to better see the oval indentation of the center board if I use a 1/8" foam backing, or does it not matter?

On the glue side of things, I'm trying to decide between the 3M spray adhesives, or the DAP Weldwood Contact-Cement. My concern is, if I have to ever do the headliner again, how difficult is it going to be to scrape either of these products off? (Incidentally, is this one of the reasons some folks epoxy coat the fiber backing boards, to make it easier to scrape the glue off?)

I'm probably just being way too nit-picky/obsessive-compulsive about this...
    1 + 1 = 3 for exceptionally large values of 1.

My VIN:    1890

I finished up mine a couple of weeks ago using the Joann's material with 3M spray. I coated my original panels with several coats of resin because my panels smelled bad, and they were a bit 'mushy'. I'm pleased with how the center panels turned out, but my technique on the door panels was not good, and the corners have some wrinkles.
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2