FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deep into the weeds with the Door Lock Module (original)

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Deep into the weeds with the Door Lock Module (original)

Hey everyone -

Decided to finally take care of my doors and locks that sometimes worked correctly. Started by taking out the latches, cleaning them, and performing a "wedgectomy" on all 4. Did a lock and latch procedure on both sides, and the doors have honestly never latched better or easier than they do now.

I previously modified the DLM to have the inline 10Amp safety fuse on the large power wire. Even with the old locks at about 80% efficiency, the DLM worked for a while, but would blow the 10A fuse every now and then. To improve the reliability of the system, I performed the "Elvis DLM mod" (http://www.teslorean.com/assets/uplo...Module-mod.pdf, if you're unfamiliar), using components equivalent to what Elvis has called out in the document. I also purchased new relays for the DLM and installed those as well. I have also examined my door lock solenoids, which are in great shape, move freely, and are unburned inside.

Wouldn't be posting this if everything worked correctly

With the doors open, and the latches locked, I attempted an unlock from the passenger side internal button. Both doors unlocked. I heard the relays click and the 10A fuse blew. Changed the fuse, tried again from the driver side. Same result.

Even with the fuse blown, I was able to determine the following:

1. The relays are assuming the right states when lock/unlock are pressed. They are staying in those states after the press, and not pulsing (I believe this is the correct behavior)
    2. If I disconnect one door's electrical connection to the lock bellcrank, just to test the other door, I still blow the fuse. Doesn't seem to be one door or the other.
    3. My inline fuse holder is one with an LED indicator. Interestingly, the indicator stays on (with the blown fuse) nearly all the time.

I've checked the resistance of all the resistors, the capacitors and the diodes/rectifiers (as much as possible on the board). There are no bad solder joints, and I'm not getting any resistance across the solder connections.

Any ideas on what I can check/test next? Obviously a Digital DLM would correct the issue as well, but it seems I'm not all that far off with what I have. Thanks!

My VIN:    03572

Your unit may have a longer timing than most and if so that could blow a 10 amp fuse. I seem to recall each solenoid draws 10 amps but since the time on is so short that 20 amps does not blow the fuse. I would try a fuse without the LED but a 15 amp. fuse should still protect if the relays stick. The problem with the OEM and lockzilla units is they use a large capacitor to create the timing on the relays and that makes them open slowly and burns the contacts.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Your unit may have a longer timing than most and if so that could blow a 10 amp fuse. I seem to recall each solenoid draws 10 amps but since the time on is so short that 20 amps does not blow the fuse. I would try a fuse without the LED but a 15 amp. fuse should still protect if the relays stick. The problem with the OEM and lockzilla units is they use a large capacitor to create the timing on the relays and that makes them open slowly and burns the contacts.
    That may be the issue. I did try a 15 amp fuse and ran into the same problem. How high should I go?

After more testing:

15A fuse - successfully unlocked doors, blew
    20A fuse - successfully locked doors, blew
    25A fuse - successfully unlocked doors, stayed intact, but appeared to hold solenoids in one place. Could not lock doors until power was disconnected.

My VIN:    03572

I think the OEM controller times the solenoids for about 1 second of on time. The LockZilla was much shorter (about 0.1 seconds). Can you time how long the relays stay engaged. If you replaced the relays with higher resistance coils your timing will increase. The LockZilla used much lower resistance relays which is why the timing is so short.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Thanks, Dave! I'm going to pull the module and just do some quick bench tests to look at the relays. I don't know for sure that they are disengaging.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Oh boy. I have been down this road before.

Here's my thread on the topic: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...-and-solenoids

Long story short.. In my case, my solenoids were the problem and needed to be rewound. After rewinding, I didn't blow any fuses.

In the thread, there is information on part numbers for new relays if you find that you need to replace them.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 11-16-2018 at 08:58 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are blowing that in-line fuse one or both (more likely both) solenoids are burnt. Rewind them. The relays and the DLM do not suck up anywhere near enough current to blow the fuse. Only burnt solenoids will do that. Disconnect the solenoids and the DLM should work just fine and the fuse won't blow.
    David Teitelbaum

Ok, taking a little advice from everyone on this thread. First of all, I'm just starting with the passenger side now. I've disconnected the bellcrank power on the driver side for the time being.

I've also now rewound the passenger side solenoid. Tedious, but at least I know that it is fresh and when it was done.

Plugging everything back in, I was running into the same issue. What I'm finding is that the new relays are actually sticking in their positions as opposed to "pulsing" for a fraction of a second. When the opposite command is sent to the unit, both relays are stuck and the fuse blows.

Am I missing something here?

Clarification from above: I'm manually testing the relays, and they are sticking in their position.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast