FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DPI Spec 1 Review

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

DPI Spec 1 Review

I'm not sure how many folks here remember, but I had a nightmare situation with my stock exhaust. Long story short, it wasn't going to come apart properly, the 02 sensor was being held in place with JB weld, coat hangers and picture wire and half the cat was clogged with the other half.

Back in December, Josh posted that he had three used Spec 1 systems for sale. Given my exhaust was a big pile of poop and the Canadian dollar was in the crapper I figured it was time to bite the bullet or risk my 02 sensor shoot out of the crossover somewhere far from home. A low mile, used system would have to be the cost effective answer. It was the right choice. No, it was the best choice. Now, I can't speak for other owners who have upgraded to a Spec 1 system, but its like driving a whole new car. Maybe it was my bad cat, or my semi-accurate mixture from the smashed up 02 sensor, but it sounds and drives like a beast! I am absolutely thrilled. Beyond thrilled. It's the same feeling I had when I got the car restored and on the road six years ago, I'm LOOKING for excuses to drive it again. "Oh what's that? We need a new pen?! I'll go to Staples!"

The system arrived and might as well have been new. I think it had less than 2000 miles on it. Josh included all the nuts, bolts and hardware except for the heat shield (which he is sending out). I re-used the rubber mounting brackets from my factory exhaust (well, one of them anyway, the second one rusted itself to the factory muffler but Toby sent up a used one).

What should have been a quick job ended up taking 3 and a half months. I decided while I was in there to re-finish all the covers, scrub the block and tranny with brake clean, change some seals, swap in a Remy starter and address some frame epoxy issues around the engine cradle. I also added the Hervey style ground bus to the transmission, cleaned all my grounds, addressed a problem with low voltage at the fuel pump and ran new lead and jump lead battery cables (at some point a PO cut and spliced BLACK cables onto the red leads. WTF?!), found my washer pump was seized and swapped it out and the list goes on. It was the first time I could often walk over to my own parts inventory and pull out a part I needed. After working on 5 cars I have a lot of parts. Throw in my beautiful 7 month old daughter and time has a way of stretching on and on. I spent a lot of time tweaking the fuel mixture and chasing what was apparently a long standing issue with the three enrichment plugs on the butterfly assembly. Eventually I got it just right.

So yeah, the Spec 1 is absolutely killer. Highly recommend. I'm not sure if Josh has any used systems left, but if you were ever on the fence, do it.
    Last edited by sdg3205; 03-23-2016 at 12:18 AM.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    6125

Awesome review, I'm glad to hear you've got your car back on the road and you're enjoying it that much. It sounds like you got bit by the 'while you're in there' bug, but that's usually a good way of finding issues to fix before they turn into something worse. That battery wiring situation sounds pretty scary.

I've been lusting after a Spec 1 exhaust for several years now... I've watched a few youtube videos to compare to the stock sound but it's tough to compare without hearing one in person. Hopefully I get a chance at DCS this year.

I've posted before wondering about approximate HP gain on the exhaust but I have yet to see any numbers posted... I'm sure given your prior situation with the cat and 02 sensor issues that there is a noticeable difference.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Thank you for the kind words. Used SPEC I systems usually only become available as an owner upgrades to the next level. We have divorced our headers from our systems and now purchase separately for twin turbo build upgrades. This way we can sell the complete SPEC I system as it is removed. On average two systems are going to be available a month from here on out.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Thank you for the kind words. Used SPEC I systems usually only become available as an owner upgrades to the next level. We have divorced our headers from our systems and now purchase separately for twin turbo build upgrades. This way we can sell the complete SPEC I system as it is removed. On average two systems are going to be available a month from here on out.

Josh, do you sell a bolt-on twin turbo system?

No. Recently people have shown to be too retarded to handle it. We sell systems for install to select shops around the world or offer in house install.

My VIN:    6585

No. Recently people have shown to be too retarded to handle it. We sell systems for install to select shops around the world or offer in house install.
    See now, I respect that. You have a kit, or rather and upgrade package that is available, and it turns out that because of the difficulty levels involved it's way too advanced for a normal shadetree to install. So you in turn restrict the sale of it rather than continue it's sale with an indifferent "buyer beware" attitude when people get in over their heads. Thus you sacrificed profit in order to prevent future problems for yourself and owners all together. I think that is the responsible thing to do.

Even with all of the Island and BAE kits that are still floating around, I seriously doubt that the majority of those were installed by casual owners. They had to have been done by professional garages too.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

I will reword the above to be more politically correct as my terminology could have been better. Substitute retarded with Arrogant stupidity. People think because they own tools that they can do anything. Unfortunately that is half of the battle.

I hate that. Now I feel like Vivian in the first part of this scene.

http://youtu.be/Nu3x5SZrMHo

Big mistake, Josh Bengston! Big mistake!!!

The product is so sophisticated that it would require me to give an amount of tech support that exceeds a reasonable level. My system is comprised of over 700 individual parts requiring integration into the dmc-12 platform. There are no facilities in the states that I have deemed acceptable to take this on. Feel free to stop by and see just how complicated it is. There are two cars at my PHX location with one complete and one going together. There are 13 cars in Ohio going together with four up and running. The various stages of assembly clearly show the scope involved.

My VIN:    6585

I will reword the above to be more politically correct as my terminology could have been better. Substitute retarded with Arrogant stupidity. People think because they own tools that they can do anything. Unfortunately that is half of the battle.
    The interesting thing is that "Retard" isn't politically incorrect. It's actually another in the long line of "Politically Correct" names that we've given to people with developmental disabilities that have merely fallen out of fashion. It's actually a scientific term adapted into medical terminology, and not an epitaph created specifically and exclusively to demean.

While there have been other epitaphs such as "geek", "window licker", or the common "mongoloid", people were outraged at those and we settled on Idiot to describe mentally handicapped people. And so people were happy for a time, until they weren't, so we needed a new one. So we created "Trainable". And so people were happy for a time, until they weren't, so we needed a new one. So we created "Retard". Perfectly fine word. The opposite of "Advanced", and used commonly even today when talking about ignition timing.

And so people were happy for a time, until they weren't, so we needed a new one. Now we have "Intellectually Challenged". Which isn't scientific at all, and completely misses the mark.

Intellect has to do with accrued reasoning, wisdom, and a capacity for knowledge. I've seen plenty of people with downs syndrome who are capable of being employed to perform autonomous jobs, and people who are "normal" that can't even make a decision for themselves without their friends and family telling them what to think. The difference has to do with upbringing, and not a bonus chromosome.

If I put Rossini's l barbiere di Siviglia and you scream "Looney Tunes!", then you are indeed intellectually challenged. BUT a challenge is something you can overcome. There is no Flowers for Algernon cure for being retarded.

Calling someone retarded may be scientifically inaccurate, but that's about it.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast