FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Owner of #06929!!!

New Owner of #06929!!!

My name is Lee and I wanted to officially introduce myself as a new Delorean owner!!! On Wednesday I purchased #06929 from DMC Florida and I'm extremely excited to join your community. Even before buying the car I had several people reach out to me from my post in the Introduction section and thus far your supportive community has been fantastic. The DMCTalk forum has been invaluable to me in regards to troubleshooting some small issues and I can already tell that being a Delorean owner is going to become a full time hobby (which I'm perfectly OK with!). My car is pretty good mechanically, but does have a few small issues that I'm working on. The interior definitely needs some TLC, but I'd like to get the car mechanically sound before beginning on the interior. Over the past two days I've started on some small projects like adjusting the parking brake (much easier then I expected) and unclogging the a/c evaporator hose. I also cleaned out the WUR because that was a known problem with the car when I purchased it, but unfortunately that didn't help the cold start issue. The car starts when cold, but any throttle what so ever on a consistent basis will kill it. If you blip the throttle you can sometimes get it to rev. After 5 minutes or so the problem seems to go away and I was advised by DMC Florida that more then likely the WUR would have to be rebuilt.

I've been on your forum constantly over the past few days and quite frequently before that doing research and making sure I knew what I was getting myself into. I've wanted a Delorean since I first saw it on Back to the Future when I was 5 years old. Now, 30 years later, I was able to make that dream come true. Any help or suggestions are always appreciated. Also, any advice on finding out more history on my car would be great. I have absolutely no history what so ever other then the Carfax. This shows the car was purchased in Virginia, lived there up until 2007, then was moved/sold to Florida and then was sold/moved again to Georgia in 2013. I believe the block # is 7223 but I'm not sure if that would help in any way.

~Lee
    Attached Images

Congrats! Welcome to the club.

You’ll want to change out your coolant tank for a stainless version. The plastic ones are known to split open and dump coolant.

You’re also missing the throttle cover. It prevents water from getting into the throttle cable and freezing in cold weather.

Have fun! Owning a D is a great hobby

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Congrats! Welcome to the club.

You’ll want to change out your coolant tank for a stainless version. The plastic ones are known to split open and dump coolant.

You’re also missing the throttle cover. It prevents water from getting into the throttle cable and freezing in cold weather.

Have fun! Owning a D is a great hobby
    Thank you! I did plan on changing out the plastic coolant tank. As for the cover, I've seen a few neat looking ones that were stainless with the DMC logo on them. Maybe I'll try to track down where those came from and get one of those. I wasn't sure how important that cover was since I've seen several pictures of engines w/o it.

~Lee

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Congrats on ownership from a fellow Floridian

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Welcome! It's always nice to see someone "pull the trigger" on their dream car!

Quote Originally Posted by leepoffaith View Post
    I wasn't sure how important that cover was since I've seen several pictures of engines w/o it.

~Lee
    It was a factory recall. Some owners had it done, some didn’t. It’s only a problem if you drive in cold weather.

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Congratulations!

Similar to my cars story, and close in VIN too. Mine had been in GA, then Tampa, then I bought it and took it back to GA. My VIN is 6720.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Register on the DoD. Check and do all updates and recalls. If you don't know the service history on the car (when fluids, filters, and tune-up parts were done) you should just go ahead and do it. Tires if over 7 years, battery over 5, wiper blades if they smear. Never force or slam the doors. If you feel the need to then adjust them properly so you don't have to slam them.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Congratulation on your purchase

My VIN:    3937

Congrats!! And kudos to you for focusing on the mechanical stuff first over the cosmetic.

That de-ice shield is indeed part of a safety recall, referred to as the throttle recall. There is more to it than just that shield. Not much granted, but a few clips and things that also serve a purpose.

Info here: http://support.delorean.com/kb/a41/throttle-recall.aspx

(And on that write-up you'll find a link to buy the kit as well as the specific instructions in the link to the original bulletin back in the 80s.)

There is a little bit of additional info on your VIN here: http://www.citizenkidd.com/dmc/pages...sp?start=06929

And the DeLorean Museum shows as having an original owner certificate available/existing for your car. They can create a copy of it for you, for a charge, and that money goes to support other DeLorean preservation things (I assume).

Link here: https://www.deloreanmuseum.org/info-on-your-vin.html

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast