FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New video on installing vented disc brakes

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

New video on installing vented disc brakes

Here is the link to the new video on installing vented front disc brakes. This was a thursday activity at Delorean Weekend 2018.
    A similar upgrade to another D is planned for Delorean Weekend 2019.

https://youtu.be/KGzEpP00iBk

Bob

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Great video!

This job is at the top of my “upgrades to do” list, and if no one else has volunteered as tribute yet for next year, I should have the discs by then for my car.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Two important comments, both for the 7 minute mark.

I missed the part about the spacers when I watched the video. its at 7:00. They are essentially washers and they must be inserted between the caliper and the Steering knuckle, shifting the caliper assembly toward the center of the car about 1/16" of an inch. Its a little awkward getting them in while reassembling everything in place but you have to do it. Well, I needed them on one side but not on the other. I'll blame this on Hervey as I purchased the calipers from him and one side may not be as kosher as the other, but if your pads don't fit you'll know why.

point there is that you should not hook up the brake line again until you confirm that the caliper is centered on the rotor and you can fit both of the pads in properly either with or without the spacers. you don't want to deal with the messy Dripping brake lines multiple times if they have to come off again to get the spacers in or out (YMMV).

Before final reassembly they mention (also around 7:00) you have to test fit the caliper to see if its going to drag on the hub, and therefore needs to get ground down. To see if it clears you need to put in the spacers above, and you also want to tighten up the two mounting bolts as well. You don't have to fully torque them, but unless they are tight, and the big nut holding the hub assembly is properly tightened, you can't be sure you are seeing the final fitment between the hub and the caliper. I had to grind on both calipers, one side more than the other.

Like the guys in the video, I also purchased some Brass Rod and used that instead of the provided wire clips to mount the brake pads (EBC Green). But I'm sure the wire clips would work as well, they just look like one time use.

One final note, before you start disassembly, figure out how you are going to cap off your brake lines. The calipers are going to be off the car for at least an hour, and you don't want the brake lines Dripping and Draining. If your rubber dust caps for the caliper bleed valves are in good shape they should fit over the brake line fittings and seal them up pretty well once you disconnect them. If you don't have the rubber dust caps, they don't come with the kit, so go down to Napa and pick some up before you start.

Its a very nice kit, highly recommended. Granted, I had a warped rotor, so anything was going to be an upgrade, but I'm quite happy. The EBC Green pads had a nasty rumble the first few times I applied the brakes but they were quickly domesticated and are good to go after just a few miles.
    Last edited by TTait; 12-09-2020 at 03:50 AM.

My VIN:    03500

I recently purchased this kit and the spacer/washer is no longer required. They are using different vented rotors so that eliminates that step. They also upgraded the cotter pins that hold the brake pads to a pin that resembles the original.
    I will probably be installing the kit in a couple weeks so if anything else is different I will report back.

David B.

I've started my conversation and have started assembly of the components but I have a question. In the video they flash on the screen that the rotor to hub torque is 40 ft/lbs shouldn't it still be 20 ft/lbs as the manual states?

Thanks
    Dave B.

I'm kinda surprised that there hasn't been any feedback for the torque on the vented rotor. But since it uses the original hub I'll stick to the book.

Dave B.