FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Water leak from front wheel area

Water leak from front wheel area

I drove my car yesterday in some pretty heavy rain. Today, after driving my car for a few miles I saw water leaking out of a fiberglass piece in front of the left front wheel. I thought maybe it was windshield washer fluid but that tank is full.

Could water have pooled in the front of the car somewhere? And why did it not drain out until more than 24 hours later? The area where the water was coming from had a hole in it, as if it was meant to be some sort of drain.F0630503-1F2D-4ACA-AAE8-DDC27BFED0FB.jpg

My VIN:    2678

This is the cover of the tank of the windshield washer fluid. When I had this on my car, it turned out that the water pump for the fluid was corroded and water was slowly dripping out. But might not be the case for you. I don't know if water can get into the wholes during heavy rain and afterwards get out slowly again. I would say just wait for another few days. If it does not stop, it might be the water pump. Did you put some additional cleaner fluids to the windshield washer water that has some color or smell? Then you could check the water that comes out of the holes.

--Peter
    Always a filled fuel tank.

Quote Originally Posted by pk2678 View Post
    If it does not stop, it might be the water pump.
    It’s not coolant. Its either water or watered down washer fluid. It drained for a few minutes and then stopped. The reason I don’t think it’s washer fluid is because after it stopped draining I topped off my washer fluid tank to test it. It’s still full this morning.

I really think rain got in there somehow. The trunk was dry and I have newer hood seals. There must be some area between the hood and fender where it got in.

My VIN:    Midproduction

Rain getting will happen and its presence there is not a problem, unless it pools. As mentioned, if water of any kind gets stuck in that bucket, your windshield nozzle motor will corrode and breakdown (happened to me). Common fix is to expand the drain holes with a larger bit size.

My VIN:    3937

The delay in it draining out that small drain hole could be nothing more than some dirt or debris was keeping it plugged, and then it finally let go.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    Common fix is to expand the drain holes with a larger bit size.
    I’ll probably do that, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The delay in it draining out that small drain hole could be nothing more than some dirt or debris was keeping it plugged, and then it finally let go.
    You may be right. The Dunmurry team must have put that hole there for a reason so I’m guessing it’s not uncommon to get water in that area.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    It’s not coolant. Its either water or watered down washer fluid. It drained for a few minutes and then stopped. The reason I don’t think it’s washer fluid is because after it stopped draining I topped off my washer fluid tank to test it. It’s still full this morning.

I really think rain got in there somehow. The trunk was dry and I have newer hood seals. There must be some area between the hood and fender where it got in.
    he is referring to the windshield washer pump.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    Common fix is to expand the drain holes with a larger bit size.
    +1. The smaller holes get filled with sand and debris and drain slower. If you try to remove the cover to drill it, you'll likely find many of the riv-nuts spin in place.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    Midproduction

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    he is referring to the windshield washer pump.
    Yes! Hadn’t had my coffee yet! :-P