FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Transmission Shaft Lip Seal Leak

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Transmission Shaft Lip Seal Leak

I have a leak coming from my transmission and I think it's coming from the lip seal on the main transmission shaft. Originally I was not sure where the leak was coming from and I had thought I solved it by unclogging the breather port, but unfortunately I was incorrect. :-/ I've attached pictures of the outside of the transmission with the leaking fluid on it as well pictures I took with a camera scope through the hole on the side of the transmission. (I thought it was odd to have a hole in the transmission housing, but there is one on each side an they definitely look like they were manufactured like that) The pictures with the scope are a little hard to determine at first, but the main part in the middle is a new throw-out bearing (found out the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing were all replaced before I purchased the car). You can see the drip of fluid coming off the main transmission shaft to the left of the bearing. Could anyone confirm that my diagnosis is correct? And if I'm not correct, which could very well be, I'd appreciate suggestions of what it might be.

I also changed the transmission fluid today and included a picture of the old vs. new fluid. It was pretty dirty and I'm not sure when the last time it was changed. I estimate that it had roughly 3.3 quarts of transmission fluid in it. I put 3.7 quarts of 80w90 Valvoline High Performance Gear Oil back into the transmission. It just barely started leaking out of the fill hole when I put the last drop in (not sure if this is normal or if I filled it too full). I drove the car for roughly 45 minutes afterwards and it shifted just fine (although it shifted pretty good with the old oil too). However, now it's leaking way more then it was previously. Before changing the fluid I used to have a small puddle after letting it sit for a day. Now I have the same size puddle after the car sat for 30 minutes. I'm assuming the transmission fluid level had something to do with this?

Any suggestions or help with this would be greatly appreciated. Also, anyone live in the Tampa area that has a car lift and some extra time on your hands?! I have a feeling that part of the solution to this problem will be removing the transmission and while I consider myself ambitious I don't think I'm comfortable doing that in my garage with jack stands just yet. I'd be more then happy to assist and reimburse you for your time. Everyone has been extremely helpful here, but I don't expect anyone to work free. As always, thanks in advance for everyone's help and suggestions.

*Two of the fluid leaking pictures are flipped upside down. It doesn't show like that on my computer when I uploaded so I'm not sure how that happened.
    Attached Images
    Proud Owner of #06929 - Purchased 11/14/2018
    Grey 5-Speed
    Manufactured November 1981
    Riverview, FL