FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Original Working Window Switch - Can be worn/faded

My VIN:    05457

Original Working Window Switch - Can be worn/faded

I'm looking for an original (not DMCH reproduction) window switch. The only requirement is that it must be functional. It is ok if the arrows are worn off or the color has faded, I'm fine with painting it if necessary. I want an original switch as it is a little shorter than the reproductions and fit better in my console. Yes, I know I can raise the console up, but I only want to do that as a last resort.

I will be connecting the switch to my garage door opener and using it in place of a dummy switch. Depending on the condition of your switch I'd be open to a trade for a reproduction never used blank defrost switch I have on hand.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    03572

You could just solder wires to the switch and then it's not to long. I did that on the new window switches.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You could just solder wires to the switch and then it's not to long. I did that on the new window switches.
    That is a good idea! I'll wait to see if anyone has an original they want to get rid of before going that route.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    I will be connecting the switch to my garage door opener and using it in place of a dummy switch.
    I recently did this, but I used a small momentary push button switch I placed in a Delorean switch blank.
    This is the button I used: https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/282715355666
    Last edited by jackb; 11-26-2018 at 01:16 PM.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    I recently did this, but I used a small momentary push button switch I placed in a Delorean switch blank.
    Thanks for the link! I saw your post about doing it, it is well done and a great option. I'm trying to stay as close to stock appearance as possible which is why I am willing to pay more for a window switch than modifying an existing dummy switch.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    10353

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    +1. The switch from ebay is so small and the color is perfect centered in a dummy switch. I would think having a third window switch would look more out of place with the arrows...unless you paint it all black and get rid of the white arrows.

I have one, PM me if interested

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Why don't you just connect it to one of the window switches? As you pull up to the house, open the window to trigger the door opener. When you open the windows going down the road nothing will happen.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMC VIN 6639 View Post
    I have one, PM me if interested
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Why don't you just connect it to one of the window switches? As you pull up to the house, open the window to trigger the door opener. When you open the windows going down the road nothing will happen.
    Thank you both! I should have waited another day. Both of these options are better than what I ended up doing. My excitement about getting this project done got the better of me and I went ahead and ordered a new switch to solder the wires directly to. It will be here tomorrow. Prepped the door opener today running two leads for the switch. Up on the switch will be one garage door, down will be the other.
    David Proehl