FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does a True flush mount USB charger exist?

Does a True flush mount USB charger exist?

I’ve tried a couple of them that are supposed to be good ones and flush mount but they are really flush mount. They probably stick out about quarter of an inch. Anyone find one that actually is flush mount on the stock cigarette lighter? Thanks
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

yes but I bought it in Germany at Media Markt

My VIN:    16409

This is what Ryan Foster came up with.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hopefully he chimes in and tells you about it.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10644

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Nooooooo!!!!!
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

My VIN:    06668 81' Grey interior, 5 speed, Grooved hood. Previous owner of 16301, in 2001. Found Nov 2019, a

Hello, Yes I made a couple of these to see what kind of interest there would be. I have 2 available of the 4 I made. let me know if you're interested. These are plug and play, no wiring mods needed.

That is a pretty cool idea. I’m just not sure if I want to do that or not. I’ll think about it. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by hippieman9 View Post
    Hello, Yes I made a couple of these to see what kind of interest there would be. I have 2 available of the 4 I made. let me know if you're interested. These are plug and play, no wiring mods needed.
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    3294

I mounted a USB / HDMI jack inside my console ashtray. It sits low enough that I can slide the cover closed when not in use. I used https://www.amazon.com/TNP-HDMI-Flus...i+%2F+usb+jack from Amazon.

I installed a 12v hardwired USB charging port inside my relay compartment, and ran the cables from the ashtray under the console back to the relay compartment. I ran the HDMI cable under the console and up to the rear of my new Jensen VX4012 head unit. My stereo has a flip up video screen and also supports HDMI / MHL screen mirroring. Basically I can plug my phone into my ashtray in the console and whatever is on my phone screen shows up on my stereo.

Since the video screen on the stereo is a touch screen, I can "theoretically" surf the web, instagram, DMCtalk, Facebook, etc. while driving down the road.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but I installed a new cigarette lighter that works with US accessories and just ordered a "flush mount" charger as I found the one I had stuck up too far and was in the way. Haven't received it yet, but I think it is pretty close.

I guess something like this would be the other option for a true flush mount USB in the lighter, and had I known before this moment it existed, I might have considered installing it instead.
    Last edited by Boxbot; 11-30-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Here's the lighter charger I chose. And your right, it sticks out about an eighth of an inch. I rationalize that it looks similar to the original cigarette lighter. I'm also happy that it works with the larger type B (European) lighter that our cars came with.
    Ron

photo 5.jpg

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Here's the lighter charger I chose. And your right, it sticks out about an eighth of an inch. I rationalize that it looks similar to the original cigarette lighter. I'm also happy that it works with the larger type B (European) lighter that our cars came with.
    Ron

photo 5.jpg
    That looks pretty good. Is it the same one that Boxbot linked to above, and are you saying that it works with the stock lighter receptical?( I.e. It doesn't tend to want to fall out)

Thanks.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast