FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Early wheels vs. later wheels

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

Early wheels vs. later wheels

The PO powdercoated the wheels on my May '81 DMC in the period correct early darker gray with matching centers and brand new tires. The wheels are immaculate. The front and rear fascias are not, however, and I am going to have them resprayed this winter.

The issue is this ... I don't like the way they look. I would much rather have the lighter color wheels with black caps. That probably means going with lighter colored fascias as well. I'm planning some other modest changes with a Stage I, stovepipe delete, Eibach springs, etc., so I won't be entering a concours or anything. It should be easy to find someone who prefers this look and will swap my wheels for the much more common style if I decide to go that way.

The question is this: Should I keep the car period correct with the proper colors on the wheels and fascias or say "the hell with it. It's my car," and change it to what I prefer?

Attached Images

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

FWIW, The color looks darker (and more glossy than stock) to me, from the pics.

Paint it all the way YOU like it!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I really like your wheels. Of course, I'm a bit biased as I have an early car as well.

Since you have one of 1381 cars with dark gray wheels (VIN 1883 - 502) minus the cars that didn't survive, I would keep the car as is. Even though you aren't concerned about Concours, from a future value perspective, they probably will help down the road in that department. Look at the current desirability of the gas flap hood for example.

But, the bottom line is that it is your car and your happiness with it is most important.

Some trivia: I recently learned that originally the darker gray was achieved by clearcoating the bare metal wheel.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 11-27-2018 at 05:56 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I personally prefer the look of the darker rims (and darker fascias).
    But, it's your car. You should make it look however you want. Yours is the only opinion that matters.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My car, VIN 2282, was built in July of 81 and has the lighter wheels, gas flap hood, windshield antenna, gas flap hood, black interior. It has the Eibach on it as well. My bumpers were redone by PO before I got the car and are the darker, glossy gray. I think the earlier cars maybe (VIN 2500 and down) had a glossy finish as opposed to the matte finish used later. I also think the color shade changed a bit too, though someone else can elaborate further on that. Having seen tons of these up close at DCS and DMC MW, the early wheels have grown on me as have the gray interiors. BUT you will be the one living with your dream, so it's up to you what you prefer. Your wheels are cool looking now. The Eibach suspension would only improve the car's looks. If you concerned about period correct, the only way to really tell what wheels "should" be on you car is to know the VIN and to know when the change to the lighter wheels occurred, which started with VIN 1884 I believe. Thus, only a true diehard DeLorean fan would know. I say go with what you like better. If you are still torn, decide after you do the suspension.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Hill Valley PD; 11-27-2018 at 08:56 PM.

My VIN:    10644

I have an early '82 and I like everything about it (ASI radio, no interior clock, single piece bolster, integrated pull handles), except I really prefer the look of a grooved non-flap hood. However, I can't bring myself to do it because I really value the authenticity of my car. I also won't ever enter a Concours or particularly care what others think of my car. While I wouldn't choose to have a very early car with the gas flap and early wheels, if I came to own one, I'd stick with it. I think the history of the changes is super interesting with the DeLorean and not blurring the lines (well, any more than they did) is attractive to me.

Obviously though, this is your car and you can do anything you want!
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

My VIN:    2706

I have an earlier car and it came with the thin cast rims that appeared to be faded dark grey. Talking to mike at midwest he said my car could have gone either way at my vin range (2706) my bumpers were dark to so I went ahead and had them powder coated early style and I plan on respraying in the glossy dark gray. I love the early black interior dark grey look though so I am biased. Your rims are gorgeous so I would keep them .

But then again if it was my car and I didn't like them then I would change it. Who cares if it's not correct . Its your car , and it's probably your dream car like the rest of us. So if you dont like it change it and dont look back.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It's your car so you can do whatever you want. None of this will affect the value, the key is condition not "correctness". As you understand, the only impact this can have is during a concours judging, it may cost you points (assuming you ever enter). Realize very few cars are ever entered into a concours judging where any of this matters anyway. Besides, there are probably many other things that will cost you points like tires and other modifications. Any potential buyers would never notice unless you make it too glossy or not glossy enough (maybe). And it is reversible, you could repaint it again if you really wanted to get judged. Most people do not realize what it can take to get a car ready for that kind of judging and what can be spent and the lengths people go to for a couple of points. It gets harder every time too as the cars get older and the competition gets fiercer. I spent a year to get my car ready for it's second concours.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    My bumpers were redone by PO before I got the car and are the darker, glossy gray. I think the earlier cars maybe (VIN 2500 and down) had a glossy finish as opposed to the matte finish used later. I also think the color shade changed a bit too, though someone else can elaborate further on that.
    I would be really interested in seeing the difference in color/finish of the earlier and later fascias. If memory serves, there isn't even anything on fascia colors in the bible. Sadly, the original paint on mine bubbled. Someone did a cheap respray over the top of the old paint with no surface prep whatsoever. So now the top layer is flaking, leaving my bumpers with a rugged, molting look.

Also, does anyone know if the black center caps fit in the early rims? That might look cool.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Boxbot View Post
    I would be really interested in seeing the difference in color/finish of the earlier and later fascias. If memory serves, there isn't even anything on fascia colors in the bible. Sadly, the original paint on mine bubbled. Someone did a cheap respray over the top of the old paint with no surface prep whatsoever. So now the top layer is flaking, leaving my bumpers with a rugged, molting look.

Also, does anyone know if the black center caps fit in the early rims? That might look cool.
    If it helps with the comparison, here is a picture of my car in low versus bright light:

Here is the repainted rear fascia before installing on the the car:

My vin is less than 1883 and I had the fascias repainted with the correct early gray, (paint code, sheen, and oil rather than water based). The code came from James at DMCH. There is a service bulletin on paint codes for fascias.

I haven't had my wheels redone yet as they still look ok, but the caps are black, so you can see what that looks like. I am positive that the new black caps fit.

I'll eventually have mine color matched to the wheels like yours are.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 11-27-2018 at 11:01 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast