FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Door lock wiring

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Door lock wiring

I'm finally getting around to getting my door locks situated, and I've come across a problem.

On the driver side door, one of the wires does not have a good connecting back to the harness in the electrical compartment. It looks like there's a break in the wire somehwere.

What's the easiest way to locate and/or repair this fault? How hard is it to remove and replace or repair the harness?

I made sure the connection between the door lock module and the electrical bay side of the connector ( on the passenger side, as I'm aware they criss cross) is solid. What's my next step?

Thanks

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

If memory serves, those wires have two inline connectors -- one in the roof box and one behind the rear carpet wall. I'd check for continuity between the end inside the door and the end inside the connector, starting with the one behind the rear carpet piece.

Do you have a cable tracker? That is a very useful tool for finding a break in a wire. Here's hoping you don't need one, though.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    If memory serves, those wires have two inline connectors -- one in the roof box and one behind the rear carpet wall. I'd check for continuity between the end inside the door and the end inside the connector, starting with the one behind the rear carpet piece.

Do you have a cable tracker? That is a very useful tool for finding a break in a wire. Here's hoping you don't need one, though.
    I checked it behind the relay compartment, going to the connector in the door. That's where I found the break. From the door lock module up to that connector is good, but from there, I can't get a connection to the door.

The roofs tend to be rusty and full of water - so the connectors may be oxydised, too.

take the T-Panel off and check it out

I pulled the T-panel today. I get good conductivity between the connector in the T-panel and the wires inside the door, but a break between the connector from the back passenger side of the car to the connector under the T-panel.

Now the question is how hard will it be to either replace that loom or run a new wire up to that box and splice it.

At least I know where the fault is.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Highly unlikely the wiring harness itself is damaged. The more likely possibility is a problem with a connector or a terminal end. That part of the wiring harness is not subjected to bending or flexing. Worst case you remove it, find the problem, fix it and put it back in.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Highly unlikely the wiring harness itself is damaged. The more likely possibility is a problem with a connector or a terminal end. That part of the wiring harness is not subjected to bending or flexing. Worst case you remove it, find the problem, fix it and put it back in.
    Before I bought this car, I think the door lock module / solenoids failed, which shorted out a lot of stuff. I had to do significant repairs, even of the aftermarket door lock module. It's quite possible that the wiring for this particular solenoid was fried in that process - I plan to be very methodical in tracing down the failure.

I just noticed that the door lights aren't working either. Some more tracing reveals that the grounds are not connected well. This makes much more sense. At least I'm on the right path.

Turns out it was some dirty connectors between the door harness and the solenoid/sense lines. All cleaned up, and everything is happy again.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    Turns out it was some dirty connectors between the door harness and the solenoid/sense lines. All cleaned up, and everything is happy again.
    All right! Easy fixes are the best fixes.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted