Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Idle surging/revving

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll start trying to troubleshoot. Unfortunately another issue my car has is that the tach is frozen, so I can't tell what RPM it is at, however I think it's higher than 2000 RPM, it sounds pretty high. FWIW the car has always been garage kept, even before I got it, and only has 10k miles, so there isn't much in the way of corrosion. Looks like I'll be giving myself a crash course on the throttle and linkage.
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by aipri View Post
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll start trying to troubleshoot. Unfortunately another issue my car has is that the tach is frozen, so I can't tell what RPM it is at, however I think it's higher than 2000 RPM, it sounds pretty high. FWIW the car has always been garage kept, even before I got it, and only has 10k miles, so there isn't much in the way of corrosion. Looks like I'll be giving myself a crash course on the throttle and linkage.
    You don't need the tach for the initial troubleshooting.

First step is to see if the throttle linkage is fully closed (against the hard stop and the idle microswitch). You can check this with the engine on or off. Push against the top of the upper throttle arm closest to the intake manifold to see if it's bottomed out (closed) or not. If it moves even a mm or two then the throttle isn't normally closed and you need to figure out why.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2