FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 500 Mile 82 on BAT

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

It looks like the miles may be original, but given the underside condition and minor corrosion issues I mentioned above, it looks like it hasn't been stored very well over the years. Nothing that can't be improved obviously.

I found a YouTube video posted by the original owner showing the engine bay while the car is running. It looks like it's been cleaned up a lot since then.

It's currently sitting at $37k on BaT but I have a sneaky suspicion that the seller is looking for at least $50-$60k. I wonder if BaT auctions come with a reserve?

G-luck to the seller and buyer. Curious to see what it goes for.
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

Ok then, now that we have determined it is Jacks old car which I knew all along because it spent its last 3 years at my facility. I bought Jacks other D. #20069.
    The vehicle is legit at 500 + miles. The car ran but had issues upon arrival. We fixed AC. air lock in cooling system causing overheating. Panel alignment including
    front and rear facias. Not responsible for paint choices. Very astute observations made by all. Can go into additional detail for potential buyer.

Steve

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by C.Bennett View Post
    It looks like the miles may be original, but given the underside condition and minor corrosion issues I mentioned above, it looks like it hasn't been stored very well over the years. Nothing that can't be improved obviously.

I found a YouTube video posted by the original owner showing the engine bay while the car is running. It looks like it's been cleaned up a lot since then.

It's currently sitting at $37k on BaT but I have a sneaky suspicion that the seller is looking for at least $50-$60k. I wonder if BaT auctions come with a reserve?

G-luck to the seller and buyer. Curious to see what it goes for.
    There are reserves on BAT unless it specifically states No Reserve. This is a pretty nice car. As others have mentioned there are a few minor issues. Reading the comments on this site is a bit rough, like being cornered at a gas station by people spewing out a bunch of BTTF references...funny ya haven’t heard that one before.
    Barry

My VIN:    5482

sold for $52,500
    Jeff

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    sold for $52,500
    Plus whatever the auction fees are.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    Plus whatever the auction fees are.
    I believe the way BAT works is buyer pays 5% to BAT via CC, then settles up with the seller for actual selling amount. The seller pays $99 to list the car, and there are some promos that can reduce that. I've bid on cars there before but never won anything.

So buyer pays $52,500 for the car and then pays an additional $2,625 to BAT (charged to his CC on file when the bid is placed; released if the bid ends up not being the winner).
    Jeff

sold for $52,500
    Interesting. Pretty much exactly what Matt Farah got for his DeLorean back in 2016 ($52k). If the seller bought this 500 mile example for $40k a few years ago, then a $12k profit (excluding any work that went into it) is not too shabby.

I'm starting to think that $50-55k might be peak-level DeLorean pricing for the masses - especially on "Bring a Trailer".

Matt's car was v-nice, but had a few rough edges. The benefit to Matt Farah's car was that it had been extensively restored by DMC CA - albeit with the non-stock Stage 2 upgrade. If I remember correctly, I think Matt Farah put $26k into the car. Given that it had been updated, $52k was a pretty good price for his car.

I'm not sure this 500 mile example has had a similar $26k restoration investment (of course, I may be wrong) so the buyer may need to spend more than he or she expects. Heck, the story of every DeLorean owner.

Congrats to the seller and buyer.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Bennett View Post
    Interesting. Pretty much exactly what Matt Farah got for his DeLorean back in 2016 ($52k). If the seller bought this 500 mile example for $40k a few years ago, then a $12k profit (excluding any work that went into it) is not too shabby.

I'm starting to think that $50-55k might be peak-level DeLorean pricing for the masses - especially on "Bring a Trailer".

Matt's car was v-nice, but had a few rough edges. The benefit to Matt Farah's car was that it had been extensively restored by DMC CA - albeit with the non-stock Stage 2 upgrade. If I remember correctly, I think Matt Farah put $26k into the car. Given that it had been updated, $52k was a pretty good price for his car.

I'm not sure this 500 mile example has had a similar $26k restoration investment (of course, I may be wrong) so the buyer may need to spend more than he or she expects. Heck, the story of every DeLorean owner.

Congrats to the seller and buyer.
    Funny, I had recalled the same thing and actually looked up Farah's car on BAT's previous auctions. That car sold 2 1/2 yrs ago with $25k + in receipts for resto work from DMC-California like you mentioned. It also had 4400 miles on it, which is not the ultra-low mile example of this one but still very minimal in terms of miles. That combined with the time between that auction and this one still indicates to me the market continues to trend upward. Hagerty has #1 Concours condition examples at $61,500; up almost $10k from about this time last year. I think they calculate their values from recent auction prices. Granted, they are going to be "high" because they want you to insure your car for more $ which equals more $ for them.

I think this car may have brought more $ at a Barrett Jackson or similar type setting.
    Jeff

My VIN:    10353

I think this car may have brought more $ at a Barrett Jackson or similar type setting.
    I was wondering if the people on BAT saw the link posted for this thread with all the details we noticed of minor things needing fixed and got nervous and didn't bid it higher up.

Great to see it command such a high price though regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    I was wondering if the people on BAT saw the link posted for this thread with all the details we noticed of minor things needing fixed and got nervous and didn't bid it higher up.

Great to see it command such a high price though regardless.
    I think $52k is a good price for this car considering the issues already pointed out in this thread. If it didn’t have these issues, I think it could have gotten a much higher price at Barrett Jackson.

For me, I’ve seen much nicer condition cars with tens of thousands more miles than this one. The low mileage obviously helped drive the price up here but the condition doesn’t reflect the low odometer reading.

As an advocate for top tier DeLorean values, this auction makes Matt Farah’s car seem like a steal by comparison at $52k knowing that it got a full $26k restoration pass from DMC CA.

Either way, this is still a very nice car and I’m sure the owner will be delighted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2