Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 500 Mile 82 on BAT

My VIN:    5482

500 Mile 82 on BAT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...rean-dmc-12-4/

This one will be interesting to watch
    Jeff

My VIN:    3937

Wow, interesting to watch is right. Quite the car. Haven't seen a catalytic convertor heatshield as intact as that one before.

Needs a couple of these: http://store.delorean.com/p-6980-wiper-nut-cap.aspx

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10353

Doesn't seem that clean for 500 miles. Why do I wonder if the angle drive was "broken" for a few years...

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    Doesn't seem that clean for 500 miles. Why do I wonder if the angle drive was "broken" for a few years...
    +1

Generally lovely with lots of original details. A few quick observations.

— Front fascia warping at the corners. Lots of general visible lift above the light bezels.
    — Facias look repainted. Seems to have the incorrect fascia paint for a late VIN car. Definitely glossy. Should be matte.
    — The rear fascia looks repainted too. The black urethane bumper looks very glossy.
    — …Which would make me ask why a 500 mile car needs repainted fascias?
    — Hood alignment to the fascia is off. Front hood edges protrude at the far left and right.
    — The lower front spoiler is pretty scratched-up and worn for 500 miles.
    — Rear louvre has a lot of patchiness and scratches on closer inspection. Might be a poor detail.
    — Left knee pad is weirdly aligned to the dash.
    — Damage to the right of the binnacle.
    — Electric window switch is wonky.
    — Seat covers look very poorly fitted with staining on the passenger leather.
    — Discoloration (and warping?) on the center console next to the ash tray.
    — Rust on the hood hinges and ground wire.
    — Transmission housing looks heavily weathered with staining on air deflector plates.
    — Springs and shocks look pretty worn for 500 miles.
    — Fluid staining on rear frame with a few rust spots.
    — Fuel closing plate has very rusty washers and bolts.

Nothing that can't be made better with some effort, but I'm seeing a lot of wear for only 500 miles which makes me think it may have a lot more miles on it.

Put it this way. My car has 39k pampered miles and has original parts that look newer than this car.

Either way, I still think this could fetch a v-good price.
    Last edited by Col Bennett; 11-30-2018 at 02:30 AM.
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

This looks like a very good car, but, if it is truly a 500 mile car, it was stored improperly at some point due to the rusty fasteners & hardware on the exterior as mentioned. In addition to what was mentioned:
    - the lower door seal is warped and needs to be replaced
    - the inner door seal has been replaced with a non OEM version that doesn't have the proper integrated wipe. They are already torn as well
    - the top of the fiberglass tub in the engine area looks like it was painted with an incorrect glossy paint ( or it has a lot of Armor All on it)

These are minor things to be sure, but if any car deserves concours correct parts, it would be non-titled 500 mile car from the original dealers collection.

This would make me question the claim of the miles and history. Maybe it was sold to a flipper that didn't do the refresh work correctly.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Is this the one listed 1 or 2 year back from Virginia? My search did not bring up anything. If it is I can shed some light on the subject.

Steve

My VIN:    17097 Canadian Edition

Club(s):   (DOI)

It looks so nose-high in the video, it almost looks rediculous.

My VIN:    16355

Steve, I think I may also have seen this D before. There was one owned or being sold by a Jack Singer, DMC12.com, from Virginia, which had very similar miles on it. The gaps in the fascia around the headlights look familiar. The owner told me he had sold it to a buyer in CA for $40k and that he had done quite a lot of work to the car before selling it. I remember seeing the Dealership name which is the same Dealer as this one?? Perhaps not the same one......

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    Is this the one listed 1 or 2 year back from Virginia? My search did not bring up anything. If it is I can shed some light on the subject.

Steve

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

This is definitely Jack's old car from VA.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...-of-Origin-50k

which makes the current ad slightly misleading in that it implies that it sat at a dealership for 36 years.

You'd think they would have fixed the rev counter by now
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10353

Interesting that from the ebay listing over a year ago it had 504 miles showing and then on BAT it now has 506. The listing shows a video of it driving and they mentioned it passed SMOG.

I put on more than 2 miles driving back and forth to get mine SMOG'd from my house....they must trailer this thing everywhere!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast