FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Tool case mounting

My VIN:    17007

Tool case mounting

Does anyone have a picture of how the tool case mounts and where. Also what time of material was the strap made of. I have one but it just crumbling to pieces.cant tell if it was elastic type or just rubber

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are referring to the pouch for the jack and lug wrench, it doesn't mount anywhere. You roll it up and put it into the compartment in the bumper in the bonnet along with the jack handle. The ties were some kind of string. Not uncommon to see that and the pouch all chewed up by rodents.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

You're talking about this presumably?

http://store.delorean.com/p-9308-strap-tool.aspx

The strap that holds the tool pouch in place inside that little compartment at the top of the frunk?

I inadvertently discovered that strap in my own car just the other day. And by discovered I mean broke. I was cleaning out stuff from the car to put it away for the winter and removed the tool bag from that compartment. I had not really even realized there was a strap in there before. I probably pulled on it too hard not knowing it was clipped in place and I broke the little plastic hook.

The strap is definitely made of rubber. A smaller version sort of as the strap that holds your spare tire in place. In the middle of the rubber strap though, is a hole and through that hole goes a small plastic clip. It kind of pushes through the hole in the strap like those fir trees do for interior trim. Then the outer portion of that clip is what grasps this small metal bar that is part of the front fascia (or frame or fiberglass tub or whatever it's actually part of). That outer portion is maybe like 2/3rds of a full circular shape, so that the opening is the gap you snug onto the metal bar.

While that clip is now attached to the bar, it keeps your strap in place. Then the strap acts like the spare tire strap does, and you clasp one end onto the other around the tool bag. That extra shape on the end of the strap is I guess to give your fingers something to pull or push with to release the strap. My strap is in pretty good shape all things considered, I just need to replace the little plastic half-circle clip.

The Houston page shows a price for these straps but then also shows them out of stock. I don't know if anyone still has them, and until the other day, had never really looked. Maybe a vendor will chime in and tell us?

Here's a couple pics of my own:

IMG_2126.jpgIMG_2127.jpgIMG_2128.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Yep that the strap but couldn't figure out where it mounts to. Mine is all dried out but new. Could you photo the mounting hole in the Frunk . Don't see one in mine. I have a 83 so maybe they did away with the mount. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you are referring to the pouch for the jack and lug wrench, it doesn't mount anywhere. You roll it up and put it into the compartment in the bumper in the bonnet along with the jack handle. The ties were some kind of string. Not uncommon to see that and the pouch all chewed up by rodents.
    Thanks Dave but not that one

I don't have a picture handy showing exactly what I meant. If no one else chimes in here shortly, I'll see about taking a couple new pics to illustrate.

That hole is actually in the strap. In the middle of it. One end of that plastic clip gets stuck in that hole, and then the other end of the clip is what grabs onto the bar. The bar is just a solid bar right in the centre of that little storage area, near the bottom. Mine had all kinds of dirt and debris under it, which is why I think I tried to pull the strap out. Was trying to clean-up the area.

There is a strap, but as David mentioned, the tool pouch probably isn't going to go far once it's wedged in there anyway. Although I think the strap might help prevent that slamming back and forth during cornering if your tool pouch is small enough to move freely in that area.

Here’s what mine looks like. Totally Deteriorating. Going to try to replicate the strap
    Attached Images

This is the little bar I was mentioning. I think there is more than one of them, off to each side. That plastic clip grabs onto the round metal bar and then the other end of the clip holds the tool bag strap. Then your strap holds the tool bag and voila, things don't bang around when you're driving.

IMG_5558.jpgIMG_5557.jpgIMG_5559.jpg