Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Taking care of 05106

  1. #11
    Junior Member Parzival's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2018

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    22

    Cooling, Switches, and bushings!

    I'm going to DMCFL tomorrow for some window switches, and I've also discovered that I need a steering column bushing.

    On Thursday we are going to tackle the rest of the cooling hoses around the engine.
    any advice is greatly appreciated!

  2. #12
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    1,796

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    I'm going to DMCFL tomorrow for some window switches, and I've also discovered that I need a steering column bushing.

    On Thursday we are going to tackle the rest of the cooling hoses around the engine.
    any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Hi Austin,

    Yes, I have two pieces of advice:

    1) Make sure you get the bushing installation procedure from Robert. If not, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. It makes a proper installation a relative breeze.

    2) When installing the coolant hoses, ensure the aluminum pipes are clean and free of any corrosion. I found 600 grit sandpaper helpful in this regard. Also, I used a proper torque value on the hose clamps. Doing this helps prevent any second round of tightening (which you don't want to have to do especially in the VOD). The OEM are Norma Torro.

    Here's a link that will help.
    http://www.clamps.co.za/Downloads/NO...P_TORRO_en.pdf

    Cheers,
    Dana
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  3. #13
    Junior Member Parzival's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2018

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    22

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Austin,

    Yes, I have two pieces of advice:

    1) Make sure you get the bushing installation procedure from Robert. If not, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. It makes a proper installation a relative breeze.
    Thanks! I'll be sure to ask him for the directions!

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    2) When installing the coolant hoses, ensure the aluminum pipes are clean and free of any corrosion. I found 600 grit sandpaper helpful in this regard. Also, I used a proper torque value on the hose clamps. Doing this helps prevent any second round of tightening (which you don't want to have to do especially in the VOD). The OEM are Norma Torro.
    Wow, thats more then I ever thought I'd read about clamps! I love how in depth you are!
    The hose kit from DMCMW came with all new claps, are the torque values the same?

  4. #14
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    6,771

    My VIN:    10757

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    If possible you want silicone hoses under the intake manifold. They will not require retightening. I know PJ Grady sells silicone hoses in his kits.
    David Teitelbaum

  5. #15
    Senior Member powerline84's Avatar
    Join Date:  Mar 2015

    Location:  NY

    Posts:    550

    My VIN:    2706

    I learned this lesson the hard way. When I put my brand new motor in I used the DMC kit . That very first winter after storing it I came out to a puddle of coolant. Pulled the whole top end off and replaced the valley hoses with silicone and havent had a problem since.

  6. #16
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    1,796

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Thanks! I'll be sure to ask him for the directions!



    Wow, thats more then I ever thought I'd read about clamps! I love how in depth you are!
    The hose kit from DMCMW came with all new claps, are the torque values the same?
    You're welcome. Yes, they should be. They were the same in the full kit that I got from DMCH. The new ones should look much like the ones in the PDF and the old ones. You can call Mike at DMCMW if you are unsure.

    It's been 3 years since I installed the kit (radiator, water pump, hoses, etc). After installation, the system held 15 psi overnight, and I have never had a leak... not one a drop.
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  7. #17
    Junior Member Parzival's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2018

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    22

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    You're welcome. Yes, they should be. They were the same in the full kit that I got from DMCH. The new ones should look much like the ones in the PDF and the old ones. You can call Mike at DMCMW if you are unsure.

    It's been 3 years since I installed the kit (radiator, water pump, hoses, etc). After installation, the system held 15 psi overnight, and I have never had a leak... not one a drop.
    Ok cool, I'll be getting into it tomorrow. I'll give you a call again soon to catch up. Sadly I can't come to the gathering on the 15th as its the same day as my wife's graduation.

    I also will likely be talking to Robert on the phone tomorrow if I run into any problems. We went under a few cars today at the shop so he could give me a run down on a few things. I love being so close to DMCFL Robert and Tony are totally rad, it feels good knowing that if I get in over my head I can have them fix my mess

  8. #18
    Junior Member Parzival's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2018

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    22

    Ok, so I decided to do the Steering column bushing today instead of the remaining cooling system since the car is cooling fine at the moment. This was a tough job, but we got through it, and the steering is no free of the clunky loose steering column.

    Took the whole steering column out. Man what a pain


    All back in and steering smoothly!


    P.S.
    also got the center headliner in too, still gotta do the doors.
    Last edited by Parzival; 12-07-2018 at 02:36 AM.

  9. #19
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    1,796

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Looking good! Also congrats on your wife's graduation.

    There is a technique where you disconnect and slide the inner column back (retract) and then move the column slightly to the side just enough to replace the bushing, but if the inner column is stiff or hard to move, then removing it completely works better, plus you have more room in which to work. I think that's the more common technique anyway.
    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

  10. #20
    Junior Member Parzival's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2018

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    22

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Looking good! Also congrats on your wife's graduation.

    There is a technique where you disconnect and slide the inner column back (retract) and then move the column slightly to the side just enough to replace the bushing, but if the inner column is stiff or hard to move, then removing it completely works better, plus you have more room in which to work. I think that's the more common technique anyway.
    Yeah, there was just no way. We tried and tried. At the end it just had to come out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •