FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking care of 05106

Wow, you have been busy!! I might ask you for some tips regarding that steering column bushing once I get around to replacing that. I think mine is basically non-existent at the moment. Regarding your fuel gauge being all over the board, I've noticed mine will vary a lot with the angle the car is at, but once on level ground it will read pretty accurately. Did your car sit for a while before you bought it? Maybe your tank and sending unit just need a good cleaning? Currently I'm troubleshooting some cold idle issues, but I think I'm close to solving them! I have learned more about the KJet fuel injection system over the past two weeks then I ever thought I'd know. I can see that you are enjoying working on your new car just as much as I am enjoying working on mine. I"m looking forward to keeping up with your progress. The members on this forum are great resources and I've had two of them in particular help me a lot with troubleshooting and one has even volunteered to assist me change out my transmission seals, rear main seal and clutch kit!
    Proud Owner of #06929 - Purchased 11/14/2018
    Grey 5-Speed
    Manufactured November 1981
    Riverview, FL

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

New owners tend to have a lot of enthusiasm and willingness to get a lot done. Unfortunately it also takes persistence because there is always more work than expected and it is always harder than it first seems. The worst thing that can happen is when there is not enough money budgeted and everything stops. That is why I recommend dong the mechanical first so you can at least drive the car and if necessary follow up with the cosmetic when circumstances allow. In this case the owner is following a sensible plan. Besides all of the work there is a steep learning curve but that is where we all help with this forum.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by leepoffaith View Post
    Wow, you have been busy!!
    Yeah, I've put two full days in on her now, and still have to do the rest of the cooling system. Its all preventative at this stage as she runs great, even with the small exhaust leak.
    With the steering column bushing, Id say have some extra hands, and take the knee panels out. I didn't show it in my photos, but I took those out as well to keep them from getting torn while wrestling the steering column back in. To get the bushing in, I found this method worked the easiest. Using a nut and bolt, a few washers, and a large socket (just larger then the back of the bushing) placed through the bushing and firewall. Then tighten the nut and bolt to squeeze in the bushing though. then line your column up with the splines and out her back toghether (getting the splines to go back in on the universal joint and column was not easy. You gotta work a tool in there to spread the joint. I was sweating at first, but it all eventually went back toghether.

I'm trying to stick to mechanical necessities and do cosmetic and comfort stuff later. But I'm also re covering my headliners since I can do that after dark. I'm half done with them now, and they are looking great. I put in new window switches also as The AC is a few steps away from being overhauled. Luckily that really concludes my interior anyway as It looks really good other then the headliner.

Have you started a thread for your car? I'd like to follow your progress as well.

Taking care of 05106

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    New owners tend to have a lot of enthusiasm and willingness to get a lot done. Unfortunately it also takes persistence because there is always more work than expected and it is always harder than it first seems. The worst thing that can happen is when there is not enough money budgeted and everything stops. That is why I recommend dong the mechanical first so you can at least drive the car and if necessary follow up with the cosmetic when circumstances allow. In this case the owner is following a sensible plan. Besides all of the work there is a steep learning curve but that is where we all help with this forum.
    Thanks David. Persistence is key... and budget. It took me two and half years to build my R2 unit. I remember having total tunnel vision on that project, and feel that same way about the Delorean now. It’s nice to have a project to care about. Especially when you don’t have kids.
    This is actually my 2nd Delorean. I had one 14 years ago, but I never really did much work on that one. And my new one is much nicer. I do think that the car already being in good cosmetic shape will inspires me to keep up on the mechanical stuff to keep the car out on the road.
    Right now my strategy is to do all the stuff I’m comfortable doing my self. Once that’s done, DMCFL will be taking over, for all the rest. So even if I loose steam they’ll be there to pick up where I leave off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

headliner

So to bridge the gap in mechanical work. I've been working on the headliner.
    I replaced the center front and center rear with new fiberglass pieces from DMCH witch came pre covered. But the door pieces look ok, so I re covered those my self.
    Here they are after a few rounds of fiberglass primer and sanding. I apply several colors of primer so that when I sand I spot the high spots. Here you can see several layers

New primer.
    Still more sanding to go.

and finally I got them wrapped.

I wish I had more time to take more photos of the process, but my hands were covered in fiberglass most the time.
    I also added all new fur trees before I started the fiberglass.
    In all it would have probably been worth the cost of just buying these along with the centers, but I had most of the materials to do this on hand. and I figure do as much my self as possible. I would have done the centers too but the backings on those were not in as good of shape.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When you are on a budget and have a lot of time and energy the temptation is to reuse, repair and rebuild as much as you can. While it can be done and is rewarding it doesn't always make sense. Stripping, cleaning and repairing the backers is one example. Of course now you forever have the bragging rights that go along with all of the fiberglass resin you will have on your hands for a long time!
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

They look great! Nice work.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    When you are on a budget and have a lot of time and energy the temptation is to reuse, repair and rebuild as much as you can. While it can be done and is rewarding it doesn't always make sense. Stripping, cleaning and repairing the backers is one example. Of course now you forever have the bragging rights that go along with all of the fiberglass resin you will have on your hands for a long time!
    Very true,
    I consider it a symbolic gesture, It can feel soulless to just wright a check. I want to get my hands dirty, and really make it feel like MY car. Not just something I shelled out a load of cash for. Since I don't have as much mechanical know-how as some others here, It's nice to find little jobs like this that can help me get my hands dirty.
    also I did have some extra incentive to get the headliner done fast as my wife wants me to drive her to her college graduation this Saturday. (gotta make the wife happy to keep the hobby in good standing

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    They look great! Nice work.
    They're not 100% perfect, but like David said, I got the bragging rights

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    They're not 100% perfect, but like David said, I got the bragging rights
    Well, they look pretty darn good to me even if they aren't perfect.

Besides, perfect is overrated on these cars. Stopping somewhere just short of 100% perfect and in that "good enough" range is much better for your sanity. And wallet, too.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast