FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking care of 05106

Cooling, Switches, and bushings!

I'm going to DMCFL tomorrow for some window switches, and I've also discovered that I need a steering column bushing.

On Thursday we are going to tackle the rest of the cooling hoses around the engine.
    any advice is greatly appreciated!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    I'm going to DMCFL tomorrow for some window switches, and I've also discovered that I need a steering column bushing.

On Thursday we are going to tackle the rest of the cooling hoses around the engine.
    any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Hi Austin,

Yes, I have two pieces of advice:

1) Make sure you get the bushing installation procedure from Robert. If not, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. It makes a proper installation a relative breeze.

2) When installing the coolant hoses, ensure the aluminum pipes are clean and free of any corrosion. I found 600 grit sandpaper helpful in this regard. Also, I used a proper torque value on the hose clamps. Doing this helps prevent any second round of tightening (which you don't want to have to do especially in the VOD). The OEM are Norma Torro.

Here's a link that will help.
    http://www.clamps.co.za/Downloads/NO...P_TORRO_en.pdf

Cheers,
    Dana
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Austin,

Yes, I have two pieces of advice:

1) Make sure you get the bushing installation procedure from Robert. If not, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. It makes a proper installation a relative breeze.
    Thanks! I'll be sure to ask him for the directions!

2) When installing the coolant hoses, ensure the aluminum pipes are clean and free of any corrosion. I found 600 grit sandpaper helpful in this regard. Also, I used a proper torque value on the hose clamps. Doing this helps prevent any second round of tightening (which you don't want to have to do especially in the VOD). The OEM are Norma Torro.
    Wow, thats more then I ever thought I'd read about clamps! I love how in depth you are!
    The hose kit from DMCMW came with all new claps, are the torque values the same?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If possible you want silicone hoses under the intake manifold. They will not require retightening. I know PJ Grady sells silicone hoses in his kits.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2706

I learned this lesson the hard way. When I put my brand new motor in I used the DMC kit . That very first winter after storing it I came out to a puddle of coolant. Pulled the whole top end off and replaced the valley hoses with silicone and havent had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Thanks! I'll be sure to ask him for the directions!

Wow, thats more then I ever thought I'd read about clamps! I love how in depth you are!
    The hose kit from DMCMW came with all new claps, are the torque values the same?
    You're welcome. Yes, they should be. They were the same in the full kit that I got from DMCH. The new ones should look much like the ones in the PDF and the old ones. You can call Mike at DMCMW if you are unsure.

It's been 3 years since I installed the kit (radiator, water pump, hoses, etc). After installation, the system held 15 psi overnight, and I have never had a leak... not one a drop.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

You're welcome. Yes, they should be. They were the same in the full kit that I got from DMCH. The new ones should look much like the ones in the PDF and the old ones. You can call Mike at DMCMW if you are unsure.

It's been 3 years since I installed the kit (radiator, water pump, hoses, etc). After installation, the system held 15 psi overnight, and I have never had a leak... not one a drop.
    Ok cool, I'll be getting into it tomorrow. I'll give you a call again soon to catch up. Sadly I can't come to the gathering on the 15th as its the same day as my wife's graduation.

I also will likely be talking to Robert on the phone tomorrow if I run into any problems. We went under a few cars today at the shop so he could give me a run down on a few things. I love being so close to DMCFL Robert and Tony are totally rad, it feels good knowing that if I get in over my head I can have them fix my mess

Ok, so I decided to do the Steering column bushing today instead of the remaining cooling system since the car is cooling fine at the moment. This was a tough job, but we got through it, and the steering is no free of the clunky loose steering column.

Took the whole steering column out. Man what a pain

All back in and steering smoothly!

P.S.
    also got the center headliner in too, still gotta do the doors.
    Last edited by Parzival; 12-07-2018 at 01:36 AM.

Looking good! Also congrats on your wife's graduation.

There is a technique where you disconnect and slide the inner column back (retract) and then move the column slightly to the side just enough to replace the bushing, but if the inner column is stiff or hard to move, then removing it completely works better, plus you have more room in which to work. I think that's the more common technique anyway.
    Dana

Looking good! Also congrats on your wife's graduation.

There is a technique where you disconnect and slide the inner column back (retract) and then move the column slightly to the side just enough to replace the bushing, but if the inner column is stiff or hard to move, then removing it completely works better, plus you have more room in which to work. I think that's the more common technique anyway.
    Yeah, there was just no way. We tried and tried. At the end it just had to come out.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast