FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Taking care of 05106

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Austin, it was a pleasure helping you. We had a great team of people helping with this surgery.

After driving it some, if it still shakes a bit, one additional thing I thought of to check is the tightness of the seal for each of the 6 injectors. It may be wise to pull each one and check the cleanliness of the metal tube that they sit in. Clean each one with carb cleaner and remove any corrosion. Just be careful not to drop anything in there.

The injectors are clean, and have new seals and clips, but I don't think we cleaned those tubes well enough like we cleaned the intake ports. That is also a source of vacuum leak.

Then, when reinserting the injectors, each one should have that "satisfying" positive, tight snap that Mike mentioned. Also check that each clip is tight. Remember we needed to tighten one of them.

It was nice to spend time with you and your friends to make your Delorean even better.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi Austin, it was a pleasure helping you. We had a great team of people helping with this surgery.

After driving it some, if it still shakes a bit, one additional thing I thought of to check is the tightness of the seal for each of the 6 injectors. It may be wise to pull each one and check the cleanliness of the metal tube that they sit in. Clean each one with carb cleaner and remove any corrosion. Just be careful not to drop anything in there.

The injectors are clean, and have new seals and clips, but I don't think we cleaned those tubes well enough like we cleaned the intake ports. That is also a source of vacuum leak.

Then, when reinserting the injectors, each one should have that "satisfying" positive, tight snap that Mike mentioned. Also check that each clip is tight. Remember we needed to tighten one of them.

It was nice to spend time with you and your friends to make your Delorean even better.

Ok, I think I can work on the injector ports a bit.

Everyone instantly thought you were really cool. (it didn't hurt that you showed up in a delorean). I don't think we would have gotten half that far without you and your knowledge of the car. You saved out butts! can't wait until our next adventure. Perhaps I'll have to come help with your new exhaust!

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Ok, I think I can work on the injector ports a bit.

Everyone instantly thought you were really cool. (it didn't hurt that you showed up in a delorean). I don't think we would have gotten half that far without you and your knowledge of the car. You saved out butts! can't wait until our next adventure. Perhaps I'll have to come help with your new exhaust!
    Great job to both of you! Sounds like your car is coming along quite nicely. And quickly too.

If ever someone needed an example of the kinds of things DeLorean owners do for one another, this is it. Way to go, Dana. That kind of help goes a long way with a new owner and is pretty much priceless. Or considering the season and to quote Cousin Eddie, 'that's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year!'

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Great job to both of you! Sounds like your car is coming along quite nicely. And quickly too.

If ever someone needed an example of the kinds of things DeLorean owners do for one another, this is it. Way to go, Dana. That kind of help goes a long way with a new owner and is pretty much priceless. Or considering the season and to quote Cousin Eddie, 'that's the gift that keeps on giving the whole year!'
    I'm telling you, Dana went WAY above and beyond on this one. It's really funny you quote Eddie here, because he was quoted 9 or 10 times throughout the day we did this project. Its like you were there!

Cold start

Ok, now that she's all back together we are running great! but I seem to have developed a cold start issue. First start after sitting for a while is rough, starts and dies, then start again with a little gas, and she putts to life, after 20 seconds she's running beautifully. If I stop at the gas station, run in for a few minutes, come back out starts up fine. but If I give it a few hours or especially over night, back to where we started.
    Things I've looked at so far include connections to the cold start valve, frequency valve is making it's sounds while running.
    Any ideas?
    worst case I take here over to DMCFL and have them look over our work and make some adjustments, but I rather have it sorted first so I can just take her there for the exhaust.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Verify the CSV system is operating correctly.
    David Teitelbaum

been busy with the car and else were

Ok so a lot has been done since last posting.
    The car starting issue seems to have worked it self out. Perhaps the lines were still holding some air? I tested the CSV, I put it in a bottle and fired the engine. It sprays like it should. The car starts especially quickly if I put the key in the on position wait a few seconds for the pump to prime and them fire it up.
    That being said, it still take a few seconds and a few revs to get her to fully come to life, she kind of puts and stutter for the first few seconds on a cold start. I think I may have a vacuum leak somewhere and I'm not really sure how to find it or confirm it. I've also had one experience where I was sitting at a red light and she started to putter out, she didn't fully die as I started to give her a rev when I noticed it was starting to die. Then on acceleration she got a little jerky, not constant power. Then that went away, the jerky acceleration has presented itself a few times, but goes away. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Since I'm kinda stuck on the engine work, I decided to install my Delorean go ball stud/door strut reinforcement plates. These were pretty easy to do, and I had to install my new rear headliner any way. So it was the perfect time to do it. These are great and I'm sure all our cars will eventually need this, just the fact of how much pressure has been on these parts for almost 40 years, and stress and fatigue of materials is unavoidable. They are bullet proof now and peace of mind is a good thing. They took a single afternoon to install. (also replaced my rear speakers at the same time. Heat gun method to retain the vinyl, no cutting)

I also soldered in the new ribbon connector into my craig radio, wired in the aux port, and replaced the tape deck belt, and rebuilt my AC mode switch (even tho I don't yet have AC in my car, I did this since I had the radio out anyway.

after all this I decided to install my new inner door seal on the passenger side. This has been a bit of problem. The new door seal has not gone smoothly.
    I did all the recommended steps. Used the rubber mallet to make sure the seal is fully seated. I applied lots of silicon lube, left it for a week shut. Then when that didn't really do much, I read that there was something called gummy Pflege, I cleaned all the silicone off, and used the Pflede. It helped some, but I have to SLAM the door, its getting easier but my wife still cant close the door from inside the car, and its really shouldn't have to be slammed like this. Any advice here? Much appreciated.

My plans to have DMCFL redo the exhaust are still in effect, I really would like to have the possible vacuum leak sorted before I do if possible, and this door thing is kinda bumming me out too.
    Anyway, thats where I'm currently at.
    Thanks in advance with any advice or theories!

Been getting along great since my last post, put another 1000 miles on the car.
    We've had the stock exhaust overhauled at DMC FL, and it made a huge difference in the over all experience of the car. Today I dropper her off again at DMC FL for a AC overhaul. If all goes well this will be the first time I'll be able to experience the car with air conditioning.
    Im getting a new compressor, new accumulator, new pressure switch, and oriface tube. The system has never been converted from r12, and is completely stock, DMCFL is converting it to redtek.
    This is Florida, so yeah,... I'm looking forward to this one guys!

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    Been getting along great since my last post, put another 1000 miles on the car.
    We've had the stock exhaust overhauled at DMC FL, and it made a huge difference in the over all experience of the car. Today I dropper her off again at DMC FL for a AC overhaul. If all goes well this will be the first time I'll be able to experience the car with air conditioning.
    Im getting a new compressor, new accumulator, new pressure switch, and oriface tube. The system has never been converted from r12, and is completely stock, DMCFL is converting it to redtek.
    This is Florida, so yeah,... I'm looking forward to this one guys!
    Nice!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6