FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Working inside the doors, questions and explanations

My VIN:    3937

Working inside the doors, questions and explanations

I'm digging into some winter work and I've started inside my driver's side door.

I have a few different things to do in there including installation of the replacement door lock solenoids to actuators kit (from Toby), installing a new moisture barrier, replacing a couple missing screws along the window bracket and redoing the clip holding the door lock cylinder in place from the inside.

While I was taking things apart, I noticed two different yellow wires that aren't connected to anything. They both end in single plastic cylindrical quick connectors, with the one near the rear having two of these yellow (and white striped) wires together in the same connector, while the other one is a single yellow (and white striped) wire tucked down in the lower front corner by the window motor.

I did a screen grab from the door video Stephen produced a while back because it shows clearly one of these yellow wires.

Door insides yellow wire not connected.jpg

Anyone know what the story is here? What was it intended for and why isn't it plugged into something?

I see also the connector that has a pair of different wires originally meant for a heated mirror, but these single yellow ones I hadn't come across before.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

They were intended for a heated rear view mirror which never happened.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    They were intended for a heated rear view mirror which never happened.
    The yellow wires too? I thought the heated mirror wiring was just that dual connector?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The yellow wires too? I thought the heated mirror wiring was just that dual connector?
    the yellow/white wire has two "1 pin" connector inside each door, one is near the solenoid connector (as you pointed out) and one is hidden near the window motor. these yellow wires end in the door connectors inside the roof box, there aren't wires on the "car side" connectors. the 2 pin connector with green/white and black wires is the mirror heater connector (as intended by the factory)..
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    the yellow/white wire has two "1 pin" connector inside each door, one is near the solenoid connector (as you pointed out) and one is hidden near the window motor. these yellow wires end in the door connectors inside the roof box, there aren't wires on the "car side" connectors. the 2 pin connector with green/white and black wires is the mirror heater connector (as intended by the factory)..
    Thanks for the explanation!

Got further into my door work. Successfully installed the door lock actuators kit and they work pretty well.

As a bonus, I realized the window motor on the passenger side has been swapped out with a newer replacement, sometime before I bought the car in 2007. Apparently I wasn't paying attention in the past when inside this door. Giddyup. Likely will swap out the driver's side one as that window is getting pretty slow and sporadic when putting it up. Damn things are pricey though!

I do have one question after having removed the interior trim on both doors at the same time. Where would this pretty looking "arm rest sub assembly" on the passenger side have come from when the one on the driver's side is a beat-up looking black painted one? I see replacements online, but only in the black painted variety.

IMG_5572.jpgIMG_5561.jpg

Does anyone know the history of production changes that would explain why one of my door armrests is a firm plastic material underneath and the other door is more like this fiberboard crap?

I've not had both doors apart at the same time before, and while looking at the pieces lying side by side, there's quite a few differences noticeble. Like maybe my car got a door changed on one side before leaving Dunmurry? The upper trim piece on that side has VIN 2332 written in black marker, yet my car is VIN 3937.

IMG_5579.jpgIMG_5574.jpg

My VIN:    03500

Does anyone know the history of production changes that would explain why one of my door armrests is a firm plastic material underneath and the other door is more like this fiberboard crap?

I've not had both doors apart at the same time before, and while looking at the pieces lying side by side, there's quite a few differences noticeble. Like maybe my car got a door changed on one side before leaving Dunmurry? The upper trim piece on that side has VIN 2332 written in black marker, yet my car is VIN 3937.

IMG_5579.jpgIMG_5574.jpg
    Vin 3500 is the other way around or reverse of what in your photo.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Vin 3500 is the other way around or reverse of what in your photo.
    So you have one plastic and one fiberboard too? Hmmmm, I hadn't even realized there were different types. Maybe getting one of each is more common than I thought?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Got further into my door work. Successfully installed the door lock actuators kit and they work pretty well.

As a bonus, I realized the window motor on the passenger side has been swapped out with a newer replacement, sometime before I bought the car in 2007. Apparently I wasn't paying attention in the past when inside this door. Giddyup. Likely will swap out the driver's side one as that window is getting pretty slow and sporadic when putting it up. Damn things are pricey though!

I do have one question after having removed the interior trim on both doors at the same time. Where would this pretty looking "arm rest sub assembly" on the passenger side have come from when the one on the driver's side is a beat-up looking black painted one? I see replacements online, but only in the black painted variety.

IMG_5572.jpgIMG_5561.jpg
    Hi Jonathan. I think the yellow zinc plated one is original or an older replacement. I have the same plated ones on my car and they have not been replaced. Here’s a picture:
    Last edited by DMC-81; 12-08-2018 at 10:33 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast