FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Body Check List" card

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

"Body Check List" card

One of the things I like about my car is all the original paperwork and extras that came with it. I was looking through some things tonight and discovered a Fiat punch card that was being recycled as a quality control ticket. My VIN is written on top. I would assume this was used at the dealership rather than on the assembly line. I cannot find any information on whether the dealership sold Fiats (Automaster or S. Burlington, VT) Anyway, has anyone ever see something like this?

IMG_7435.jpg
    IMG_7434.jpg

My VIN:    1596

Club(s):   (DMA)

But, hey, good news everyone! DMC has set up a 24/7 Toll free customer service number!

IMG_7432.jpg
    IMG_7433 (1).jpg
    Attached Images

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Boxbot View Post
    One of the things I like about my car is all the original paperwork and extras that came with it. I was looking through some things tonight and discovered a Fiat punch card that was being recycled as a quality control ticket. My VIN is written on top. I would assume this was used at the dealership rather than on the assembly line. I cannot find any information on whether the dealership sold Fiats (Automaster or S. Burlington, VT) Anyway, has anyone ever see something like this?
    Never seen anything like that.
    Other than the handwritten VIN nothing about it matches the car. There is what looks like a 1976-vintage delivery date on it.

The punch card does show a handwritten sub-VIN for your car plus the "M" for the tranny but the rest of the card looks like it's for some other car. As you say, somebody downstream of the factory may have repurposed it to show whatever they inspected to a buyer. Or it was done to give the impression of some inspection.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Boxbot View Post
    . I would assume this was used at the dealership rather than on the assembly line. I cannot find any information on whether the dealership sold Fiats (Automaster or S. Burlington, VT) Anyway, has anyone ever see something like this?
    That's an unusual find

I would also assume it was dealership rather than factory by the spelling of "TIRES".

Looking at the history of the dealership on their website, they make no mention of ever having been a DeLorean dealer so it's perhaps not surprising that they don't mention FIAT either. Keeping things positive, and all that.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    3937

Aren't those little rectangular holes in the card part of some sort of computer coding? Like they all line-up and correspond to some specific information? That was a pretty old-school way of doing things, programming that is. Circa 60s NASA and the Apollo missions putting a man on the moon?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is an 80 column punch card and it was very common in the 60's and 70's. The holes are punched in specific places to code information. Does anyone remember the "hanging chads" from Florida during a presidential election where they had to recount the votes which involved manually reading the punch cards? It was common to use them for inventory control, production control, and machine programming. My guess is a dealership used them for inventory control. It was common for multiple cards to travel with the inventory and at certain places in the system one of the cards was returned to the computer at which time a report was generated showing where every car was in the process.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

It does look like early IBM punch card style marks.

IMG_7435.jpg
    IMG_7434.jpg[/quote]

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
    aren't those little rectangular holes in the card part of some sort of computer coding? Like they all line-up and correspond to some specific information? That was a pretty old-school way of doing things, programming that is. Circa 60s nasa and the apollo missions putting a man on the moon?
    If you look closely you can see that the punch code on the card spells out the written text along the top of the card "0700114547WY14093076INT507". I hate to admit that I'm old enough to have used these in college to run my program coding for computer class. My recollection was each card represented one line of program code. For a complex program, the card stack was formidable.

Ron

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

And don't drop the stack!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That card represented the latest and greatest in computing technology. Punch tape too. You would load the computer with the program and do a "run" with the data (all punch cards). It would produce printed reports, work orders and punch tape to run CNC machines. It was all a batch process, ie, none of the information was real time. We had cabinets full of those cards and the machines to make, read, and sort them. I remember recompiling all of the programs in Fortran, loading them into an IBM PC and trying to run them in DOS One IBM PC replaced a whole room full of equipment and cards!
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast