FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LED front blinkers

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

LED front blinkers

Hey Guys,

I recently upgraded all of my dash cluster lights to LED's (except for the battery light), and tonight I upgraded my taillights and front blinker lights to LED's and replaced the flasher relay under the dash.

My blinkers work as expected, as long as the headlight switch is turned off. When I press the headlight switch once to illuminate the dash, both indicator lights in the dash come on for some reason. Same when I press the switch twice to enable the headlights. If I toggle the turn signal lever with the dash lights or headlights on, the relay under the dash clicks at a slower interval than usual. Same if I turn the hazards on while the lights are on. It blinks very slowly.

I swapped one of the front blinker bulbs back to the OEM incandescent bulb and the indicator light for that side turned off, and flashed at a normal interval. So I believe it has something to do with having LED's in those sockets. Removing the relay completely had no effect on the indicator lights in the dash.

These are the LED's which I'm having issues with: https://www.deloreango.com/us/led-bu...indicator.html

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?
    Last edited by bytes311; 12-11-2018 at 09:35 PM.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Verify the LED’s have the same style Base as the OE bulbs and the offset pins on the side of the base are in there correct position in the socket. Speaking of sockets, is there any corrosion present within the socket?

It almost sounds like you installed the 1156 style tail light LED’s in the Front 1157 socket. The 1156 being a single center contact can bridge the Dual contacts in the 1157 socket. This would explain back fed power from the Park lights bridging to the signal side and powering the Dash indicators with constant power while the headlight switch is in either 1st or 2nd positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

The LED has two contacts. 20181211_212128.jpg

I tested the socket with a test light and everything appears fine. No corrosion.

Here's a video of it in action: https://youtu.be/fSgPtxAGTDE
    Last edited by bytes311; 12-12-2018 at 12:45 AM.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Are the side pegs oriented in the same rotational position as the OE bulb when compared to the bottom contacts. I wonder if they are 90 degrees off. That would also bridge the socket contacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

I just went out and looked because I thought the same thing. But no, they are oriented correctly the same as the OE bulb. The light only locks into the socket one way.

At this point I would suspect the LED bulbs. Perhaps the internal circuitry is allowing current to bleed between the contacts. I'm not sure how you could test for this, but you might just use a multi-meter and see if there is any conductivity (Ohms) between the bottom connections of the bulb base. Reverse the leads to check polarity both directions. There should not be any reading between the connections. If there is, it might just be a manufacture defect.

Ron

My VIN:    03572

There was a wiring modification some owners did to get the side lights to blink. That modification would work with incandescent bulbs but it would not work with most LEDs. Did your side lights blink when you had incandescent bulbs?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I know you bought your bulbs elsewhere, but DMC Houston recently sent an email to me saying that their front LED blinker bulbs may be faulty. Maybe DeLoreanGo uses the same bulb?

My VIN:    10353

I just ordered the same set from deloreango and am waiting for the package to arrive. Will update when I get mine installed to see if I get the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    There was a wiring modification some owners did to get the side lights to blink. That modification would work with incandescent bulbs but it would not work with most LEDs. Did your side lights blink when you had incandescent bulbs?
    My side lights never blinked, no. As far as I know, my car has not had any wiring modifications done to it.

Everything works as it should as long as the headlight switch is turned off. Once the headlight switch is in either the #1 or #2 position and I toggle the turn signals, the exterior blinkers do not switch between off and on, they go dim to bright and back to dim.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast