FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Identification of one brown cable

My VIN:    #1550

Identification of one brown cable

Hi,
    my name is Lars. I live in Germany. I bought DeLorean 6 weeks ago and just wanted to clean it a little...
    A mouse did bite 10 cables in the fuse box, the fuse box itself burned (some time ago but was not changed) and so many cables, connectors and things need to be done.
    I found a cable in the engine harnes which looks like as if it just broke and one part fell off, but I don't find the place it should be fitted.
    It comes out of the wiring harness coming from above directly above the alternator. A lot of big brown cables are connected to the starter. One smaller brown/yellow cable is connected to the alternator and directly at this place, where thic cable leaves the harness also a smaller brown (it looks like as if it is just brown - but it is short) cable is visible, which after 1.5" is cut or broken apart.
    Can anybody help me identifying this brown cable?
    Thank you in advance!!!
    Lars

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

That brown wire is a voltage sense wire that was used with the 70 amp Ducellier alternator for early VIN cars. Your car was built with a 80 amp Motorola alternator which did not require the extra wire. DMC just had the production line workers cut the wire off and stow it. A later style engine harness eventually put into production that deleted that wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    Midproduction

Those brown cables are your lead (http://store.delorean.com/p-7137-lead.aspx) wiring between your alternator and starter. I burnt (with the exhaust) and replaced mine with a single larger gauge wire. There are also a number of brown wires that run up the alternator towards the intake as part of the main engine harness and connect at the bulkhead.

Quote Originally Posted by larsmhh View Post
    Hi,
    my name is Lars. I live in Germany. I bought DeLorean 6 weeks ago and just wanted to clean it a little...
    A mouse did bite 10 cables in the fuse box, the fuse box itself burned (some time ago but was not changed) and so many cables, connectors and things need to be done.
    I found a cable in the engine harnes which looks like as if it just broke and one part fell off, but I don't find the place it should be fitted.
    It comes out of the wiring harness coming from above directly above the alternator. A lot of big brown cables are connected to the starter. One smaller brown/yellow cable is connected to the alternator and directly at this place, where thic cable leaves the harness also a smaller brown (it looks like as if it is just brown - but it is short) cable is visible, which after 1.5" is cut or broken apart.
    Can anybody help me identifying this brown cable?
    Thank you in advance!!!
    Lars

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

A photo would be helpful. Usually on the Delorean anything brown is +12VDC. If it’s a bundle of multiple brown wires it is likely for the back of the alternator. As Dennis beat me in stating, if it is not connected, it is likely it has been bypassed and something else was used.

When I did my alternator wiring, I removed the brown wires from the harness altogether and ran a battery cable from the alternator to the bulkhead connector.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Lars, welcome to ownership and the forum. Do you have a lower 1981 vin? If so, and from your description, the brown, cut wire is from the Duceiller alternator. When they replaced it with the Motorola years ago, the procedure was to cut the unused wire.

I had the same situation.

Edit: Dennis beat me to it. ^ Also, here is a thread that discusses the S sense wire...
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12181-DMCH-alternator
    Last edited by DMC-81; 12-13-2018 at 07:28 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Thank you very much!

Hi guys,
    wow what a nice and quick response to my question.
    Yes, my DeLorean is an early car, VIN is 1550 and the alternator installed is a newer one. So I am quite sure it is the "voltage sense wire" which was cut later.
    So I will put some shrinking tube around it and forget about this wire...
    Once again, thank you very much - I hope to be allowed to ask again, if needed.
    Lars

P.s.: Yes, a photo would have been nice, but I did not get a "good" photo from the upper or lower point of view.

Photo

You did ask me for a photo.
    I did find one on the "Resources/Assorted technical photos" and put a red circle around the cable.

Best regards, Lars.